chapter twenty-two

With a black hood over her head, Rowyn observed the streets of Calormene while she sipped on a cup of tea. The streets were cold and empty—despite the few woman who were rushing home with their crying children in hand.

She watched the guards over the top of her cup. They all shared one quality besides their brutality.

Those icy blue, almost white eyes. The same color as the Witch's ice.

That was enough to help solidify her ideas even more. They were enslaved under her power, being tortured by her. She lived through them.

But how, Rowyn didn't know—she would worry about that later.

As the icy breeze danced through the streets, Rowyn kept her palms against her cup—preventing the liquid from cooling down. She studied the guards from behind her low hood.

They were armed heavily with two swords crossed on their backs with two other swords resting on either side of their hips, their skin covered in iron armor, and their eyes were cold and held more evil than anyone realized.

Reaching into her pocket, she slapped a few coins on the table and left the small, nearly deserted cafe. Her boots tapped along the cobblestone street as she clung to the shadows.

Despite being mid-day, the city was dark and the air was thick. When she first arrived, the weight of the air made Rowyn feel like she would either choke or throw up if she wasn't careful. But she swallowed down her fears and allowed the fire in her stomach to burn them away into nothingness.

As Rowyn neared a group of soldiers, she gripped the handles of her daggers tightly as they rested against her thigh—blending in perfectly with the dark black leather of her pants. No one would notice the weapons from far away. But as she neared the guards, she pulled the iron weapons out of their sheaths and slashed the throat of two of the men before she was shoved to the ground, chained, and brought up to the castle.

Right where she needed to be.

....

"High Queen Rowyn." Prince Rabadash said as he walked up to the cell that the guards had tossed her into. Rowyn smiled with sickening sweetness as she stood and to walk up to the iron bars that held her away. "You killed two of my finest men . . . why are you here?" His voice was like venom.

Rowyn squeezed to iron bars. "If you're in there show me." She told him.

He chuckled. "Stupid girl." He spat at her feet and leaned on the bar near her hand.

"Rabadash," She said quickly. "If you're still in there show me something, please!" She searched his icy eyes vigorously.

"Shut up!" He told her as his face became riddled with anger.

"Show me something! Anything!" She disobeyed and continued to shout.

Rabadash grew angry and grabbed her hand, twisting it in a way that shattered some of her bones. Rowyn screamed out in pain as he twisted hard. The loud pop of her bones breaking made her want to throw up.

"My name is Prince Rabadash!" He screamed in her face and then released her hand. "I'm going to enjoy slaughtering your people and making you watch." He threw open the cell door as she collapsed to the ground.

Rowyn writhed on the floor as anger threatened to rise to the surface but she pushed it down to the fire within her with everything she had. "You sick fuck!"

This angered the Prince and he grabbed her feet and pulled her to him. "Perhaps, I'll keep you as my own personal slut!"

Rowyn's eyes widened as his hands rested on her hips, shifting to her belt. "NO!" She screamed out and kicked him in the face when the opportunity arose. The Prince put a hand on her throat and her screams stopped.