alternate ending

Warm sunlight, followed by bright laughter, made Rowyn stir in her sleep. With a foggy head, Rowyn sat up in her bed and turned to see Peter not beside her.

More laughter told her that he was outside. Rowyn glanced at her watch—it was noon. Her eyes widened and Rowyn quickly stood from the bed. As she quickly shrugged on a silver robe over her black nightgown, Rowyn walked down the hallway and opened the bedroom room across from the guest bedroom.

"Hello, baby." Rowyn smiled widely to see little Evalyn standing up in her crib with a wide smile as her ocean blue eyes shined brightly. "Oh hello!" Rowyn smiled more as she lifted the one-year-old up and held her on her hip and pressed a kiss to her honey curls.

Evalyn reached her little hands towards Rowyn as she smiled and babbled mindlessly. "Someone's happy . . . come on, let's check on daddy, okay?" Rowyn held her tightly to her hip as she walked down the stairs and into the kitchen.

Rowyn smiled grew impossibly more as she pushed open the front door. "Hey! Why didn't you wake me up?"

"Mommy!" Four-year-old Simon came running forward and wrapping his tiny arms around Rowyn's leg. "Happy birthday!" He smiled up at her—his violet eyes shining brightly.

Rowyn rubbed his blonde curls and smiled. "Thank you, bubba." Peter came running forward and kissed Rowyn hard for a moment. His smile brightened a million times and he turned to Evalyn and grabbed her from Rowyn's arms.

"How are my favorite girls doing?" He asked as he brushed his nose with Evalyn's earning a loud giggle from the baby. A tug at Rowyn's robe made her crouch down and pick her son up and place him on her hip where Evalyn had once been.

Simon and Rowyn shared a look as they watch Peter turn completely soft for his daughter. "Daddy's a big old softie, isn't he?" Rowyn said to Simon who giggled and put his thumb in his mouth.

Peter turned to Rowyn and scoffed. "I've always been a softie—Evalyn and Simon just bring it out more." He leaned over to kiss Simon and Evalyn and then Rowyn as all their eyes shined with love. "Simon and I attempted to make you breakfast." Peter led Rowyn into the house with Evalyn in his arms.

"It's noon." Rowyn replied with a small laugh.

"Yeah, daddy!" Simon replied. "It's noon!" His tone held a heavy amount of dramatic sass—he got a chaotic mix of both of his parents attitude.

Rowyn stifled a laugh as Peter set Evalyn down in her high chair. "I didn't think you'd sleep in so long." Peter told Rowyn. "But it's okay, because we can just heat these up." Peter grabbed the plate of pancakes and turned on the stove to heat them up more.

Rowyn sat down at the island in their kitchen with Simon on her lap. "I made you something." Simon said and leaned over the counter to grab a drawing he had made.

"Wow!" Rowyn smiled at the typical toddler drawing. It was just a bunch of scribbles but Rowyn loved it either way. "This is lovely, Simon. I love it." Rowyn kissed his chubby cheeks and he smiled and giggle when she did it more times.

Peter watched the pair for a moment with a big smile on his face. After being with Rowyn, he thought he had experience the ultimate amount of love that a person could feel for another and receive from another. Then Rowyn became pregnant and everything he thought he knew was rewritten. The love he felt every time he looked at Rowyn, Simon, and Evalyn was enough for his heart to physically hurt from the overwhelming feeling. All he knew was that he would do anything to make them happy.

"Here." Peter said, handing Rowyn a plate of pancakes lathered in syrup. "I'll feed Evie." Peter kissed Rowyn once more and then grabbed a jar of mashed sweet potatoes that Rowyn had made the day before from the fridge and sat down in front of Evalyn.

"Ah-" Simon opened his mouth as Rowyn chewed on her first bite of pancake. Rowyn smiled and cut a small bite for her son. The boy smiled happily as he chewed on the sugar piece of pancake and bounced on her lap.

A knock at their front door sounded. "Come in!" Rowyn shouted, careful not to hurt Simon and Evalyn ears as she did so. Rowyn smiled as Lucille and her husband, Rick, appeared from the front door followed by the rest of their family.

"Grammy!" Simon smiled at Adeline as she rushed to pick the little boy up and brush her nose with his.

"Happy birthday, baby." Adeline kissed Rowyn forehead. Rowyn thanked them all after they told her happy birthday. "So what is the plan for today?"

Rowyn looked at Peter as she stood up with her now empty plate. "I'm thinking we just have a lazy day of the beach."

"I brought you a cake." Lucy said, placing the cake down on the counter. "We have a lazy beach day with cake." She smiled proudly as she revealed the white frosted cake adorned with natural flowers.

"Jeez, Lu." Rowyn hugged her tightly before Susan came over and smiled at Rowyn.

"So how old are you now?" Susan questioned from beside her husband.

Rowyn pretended to think. "Uh—a hundred? Or are we including the aging I did during the Golden Age because that changes things."

Susan rolled her eyes with a smile and pushed her shoulder. "Rowan, Louise, and Eddy will be over in a bit—they just have some stuff to take care of with Tumnus first."

Rowyn smiled wide and nodded. "Sounds good—I'm just gonna go change real quick and then how about I kick your ass in volleyball?" Susan scoffed.

"Don't get cocky—I'll wipe the floor with you."

"Pfft, I went to volleyball camp five summers in a row." Rowyn replied as she walked upstairs to quickly change into her swimwear.

"Jesus—who knew a hundred could look so good." Peter smirked from the door as Rowyn hooked her swim top in the back.

Rowyn turned around and was met with his lips instantly. "Peter—don't start anything we won't be able to finish."

Peter groaned and pulled away. "I hate how you're right." Rowyn brushed his cheek and then moved around him to slip on a simple white dress over her swimwear.

"How do I look?" Rowyn questioned and turned around a bit in her outfit. Despite having lived in Aslan's Country for decades, Rowyn's body hadn't changed from the twenty-three-year-old one it had been on Earth. The only difference with Peter was the small amount of more stubble he wore on his cheeks that had tickled the inside of her thighs that last night.

"Breath-taking as always." Peter replied and then gave her another quick kiss.

Rowyn smiled wide and kissed him a few more times. "Come on." Rowyn grabbed Peter's hand to pull him out the door but he didn't move. "What is it?"

Peter took a deep breath. "I just want to thank you, Wynne—for everything that you've given me . . . I just . . . I want to tell you that I love-"

Rowyn rose her hand and he stopped talking. "Shh." She said and then walked out onto their balcony. Simon giggled loudly as he pulled his Aunt Lucy to the water. Adeline's laughter followed by Lucille's soon sounded as well when baby Evalyn—who sat between her grandmother's legs in the sand—grabbed handfuls of sand and threw it around while laughing her head off. Peter came up behind Rowyn and held her waist while they both smiled down at their family. Rowyn bit her lip to prevent from crying as she turned around to Peter and kissed him softly. "We have nothing but time, Pete . . . tell me after."