chapter thirty

"I can't get his eyes right." Rowyn muttered as she stared at her wall in frustration.

Charlie moved to stand beside Rowyn with his arms crossed. "I think they look good."

Rowyn captured her lip between her teeth. "I know but it's not the right color. His eyes are more . . . bright. They're the kind of eyes that capture you entirely and capture everyone in a room."

Sam came in the room after hearing their conversation. "Maybe some shine spray would help?"

Rowyn's eyes lit up as she perked up and turned towards her father. "Oh my God! Why didn't I think of that!" Rowyn looked at Casper briefly with a dumbfounded look before rushing out the room to grab her car keys.

"Rowyn, are you going right now?" Charlie's voice held amusement as he rushed after his daughter. Rowyn nodded happily and threw the front door open and headed for her pale yellow truck.

"Adeline hasn't been driven in awhile." Rowyn said as she unlocked the car door and climbed in.

Sam shook his head with amusement and pulled twenty dollars out of his wallet. "Here you go, kiddo." Rowyn smiled and leaned up to kiss her father cheek and thank him before turning on her car and driving down their dirt road and into town.

....

"Why the fuck are there so many types of shine spray?" Rowyn said as she hopped out of her truck with Casper beside her. "I mean seriously, it seems a little excessive." She released a small laugh as she leaned over the front seat to grab the grocery bag out of the passengers seat. "I had to buy four different kinds because I didn't know which to get, but I'm thinking this silvery metallic one will do wonders for Pete's eyes." Rowyn then locked her car and headed towards the front door.

The moment her hand touched the handle she felt it.

That familiar tug at her heart pulling her forward. Rowyn physically stumbled forward from the mere force of the tug.

Rowyn's eyes widened and she turned to Casper. "You don't think-" She was cut off by another tug. "Oh my God . . ." Rowyn closed her eyes for a moment before turning the handle and felt a warm ocean breeze brush on her cheeks.

Rowyn could stop the squeal of delight that came from her mouth when her yellow canvas sneakers touched sand. "Yes yes yes!" She jumped slightly when she saw the beautiful blue water brush against the shore in front of her. "I knew I would come back!"

Then she heard it. Laughter.

Rowyn's heart went to her throat as her feet ran on the sand towards the laughter. She passed through a small cave connecting two beaches and then she saw them.

"Susan!" Rowyn shouted when she saw her best friend about to rush into the ocean after her family. The brunette whipped around and smiled brighter than the sun.

"Rowyn!" The girls sprinted towards each other and Rowyn was incredibly grateful she was wearing her blue jeans when the force between them once they met caused them both to fall to the sand. "I missed you so much!" Susan held her best friend so tight that Rowyn struggled to breathe but she didn't care.

"I missed you too!" Rowyn smiled through her watery eyes as they pulled away and cupped each other's cheeks.

"Rowyn!" Lucy's voice sounded a moment before she tackled Rowyn. Both of them let out happy laughs as they hugged each other tightly. "We're back can you believe it!" Lucy sat up and smiled widely. Her pig-tails were soaked from the ocean water and sand stuck to her cheeks.

"Wynne?" That familiar voice said from behind Lucy that caused her to squeal and hop off of Rowyn.

Peter.