chapter nineteen

A knock on Rowyn's door awoke her from her slumber. Rubbing the sleep from her eyes, she opened the door to see Susan standing there with tear-stained cheeks.

Rowyn didn't have a chance to say anything before she was mauled by Susan's tight hug. Her body shook violently against Rowyn as she cried. Rowyn held her tightly and stroked her hair gently.

"Just breath, Su." She whispered softly, using her feet to shut her bedroom door and muffle the Gentle Queen's cries of pain and sorrow from outside ears.

"He tried to-" Another painful sob cut her off.

Rowyn's eyes watered and she held her tighter. "You're safe now . . . I swear to you he will pay for what he's done." She told the weeping girl.

When Susan's violent sobs eventually calmed down to soft cries, Rowyn led her to her bed. Susan instantly climbed in and stretched her arms out, asking silently for Rowyn.

Not needing to be asked twice, she climbed into the silk sheets beside her and allowed Susan to bury her head into her chest. That's when the sobs began again.

"I'm a fool." Susan cried to Rowyn's black nightgown. "I'm such a fool—I-I thought he was different . . . at first, he was so sweet but then he changed." She cried into the silk material covering Rowyn's chest.

Rowyn stroked her head and gently massaged her scalp. "You aren't a fool, Susan. You couldn't have known." Susan tightened her arms around Rowyn and cried more.

"I-I was so scared," Susan cried out and sniffled loudly. "I thought I'd never see you again-" Another loud sniffled sounded as she breathed heavily. "That he'd lock me away forever and I'd never-"

Rowyn held her tighter as more violent sobs ripped from her throat. It broke her entirely to see her best friend in this state.

But she would stay strong for Susan, because she needed her and she knew Susan would do the same for her if the roles were reversed.

So Rowyn held her throughout the whole night, even when Susan's sobs quieted down to soft snores, Rowyn didn't let go—didn't allow herself to sleep. Instead, she kept a hand rubbing her back lovingly while the other stroked her hair.

And when morning began to rise, she didn't stop.

But when Susan awoke at dawn, Rowyn pretended to have just woken up too, not wanting her to feel any guilt for her lack of sleep.

"I'll draw you a bath, okay?" Rowyn asked Susan. She nodded and Rowyn kissed the top of her head before standing up to begin running the water to the bathtub. She sat on the side of the tub and she tested the water until it was the perfect temperature.

Once it was filled enough, she lead Susan to the bathroom and helped her strip of her clothing—after asking for permission of course.

Rowyn's blood boiled at the sight of bruises forming around her wrists and farther up her arm, but she didn't say anything. She carefully lowered Susan into the water and went to grab all the soaps she could.

"Which scent do you want?" Rowyn questioned, wanting to give Susan the choice. Once she lazily picked the soap she wanted, Rowyn put the rest away and grabbed a cup to gently pour some water onto her hair. "Is this okay, Su?" When she nodded, Rowyn continued until all the dark locks were wet. After it was wet enough, she rubbed the bar of soap in her hands until it produced enough soap and then softly massaged it into Susan's hair.

"Can you . . ." A sniffled sounded and Rowyn's movements stopped for a moment. "Tell me a story or something . . . the silence is vicious."

Rowyn smiled sadly and obliged without question. "Well, back home in Oregon, I have a ghost."

This grabbed Susan's attention. "R-Really?" She asked, bringing up knees up to her chest after wiping her nose.

Rowyn nodded. "Yeah, I named him Casper because of Casper the Friendly Ghost—I don't know if you know what that is—but he's cool. I use to think he was mean, he would make books drop off my shelves—my dads didn't believe me about him." She told Susan, rubbing more soap into her hair and then washing it out with a cup of water. "He's nice though. I've realized that as I've grown up . . . I think maybe he was just a lonely ghost who wanted a friend, so I became that for him."

Susan wiped her nose again and sniffled. "Do you miss him?"

"Yeah," Rowyn said. "I think about him a lot—he was like my protector growing up . . . yeah, I miss him."

Once the soap was out of her hair, she rubbed the bar along Susan's shoulders. "I miss my mum . . . my dad." Susan told Rowyn with another quiet sniffle.

"You'll see them again." Rowyn told her and gave her the bar of soap so Susan could clean the rest of her body. "I'll get you some clothes. Any preference?" Susan shook her head and thanked the girl before she walked out the bathroom and went to her closet.

Rowyn pulled out two dresses for her to choice from—which ever she refused, Rowyn would wear that day.

Susan came out wrapped in a large brown towel and walked over to the bed to sit down. "Which one?" She motioned to the dresses hanging up on the door frame. Susan pointed towards the deep green one and Rowyn gave her a smile. Rowyn helped the girl into the soft, loose material and buttoned the back for her.

"Thank you, Ro." Susan said as Rowyn tied up her hair into a low ponytail that twisted around to the front of her. "For being here."

Rowyn hugged her from behind. "I'm always gonna be here for you . . . no matter what. You can always talk to me." Susan placed her hands on Rowyn's and gave her a grateful smile. "Why don't you and I stay up here for the day? I could read to you. Maybe get us some chocolate cake after breakfast?" Susan nodded.

"That sounds perfect." Susan told her.

Rowyn squeezed her hands. "Okay, I'll go get some breakfast for us. Are you okay waiting up here or do you want to come?"

Susan sat down on the bed and shook her head. "I'll wait here." She gave Rowyn the best smile she could muster up given the circumstances and Rowyn kissed her forehead.

"Be back in a flash." And then Rowyn slipped out the room and rushed down towards the dining hall.

"Hey, Rowyn—what are you wearing?" Peter choked on his water when she entered the room.

Rowyn didn't care that she strolled in barefoot and in her short black nightgown. She had a mission: get Susan food and be there for her.

She didn't respond. She just grabbed two plates and piled them with as much food as they could hold.

"Ro?" Edmund questioned and Rowyn looked up. "What are you doing?" He shared a confused—almost concerned—look with his siblings.

Rowyn balanced the plates on both of her hands. "Susan and I are spending the day up in my room . . . she came to me last night and I want to be there for her. Lucy, maybe you could stop by at sometime today? Oh—and bring a large chocolate cake when you do so, okay? And maybe some interesting books you've read?" Lucy nodded happily and Rowyn smiled. "Thank you and goodbye." She jokingly bowed and rushed out of the room and back to her room.

"Jesus, Ro-" Susan stood from the bed as Rowyn moved to take the plates to the small table out on her balcony.

"Jesus is right-" Rowyn began once the plates were placed down. "I forgot the drinks and silverware. Dig in, I'll be back in a minute." Rowyn ran back downstairs and into the dining hall.

Peter just laughed when she rushed back in and snatched up some forks and a pitcher of orange juice.

"Good day." She said and rushed back out. "Here we are." She said when she rushed back into her room and placed the pitcher down on the table. Rowyn grabbed two cups from her bathroom and placed them down, filling them both with the fruity juice.

Susan smiled gratefully at Rowyn. "This is wonderful, Ro . . . thank you."

Rowyn smiled back at her and plopped down in her chair. "Less talking more eating."