chapter thirteen

"Help me!" A scream pierced through the sea of black as Rowyn struggled to keep her head above. "Please! It wasn't my fault!" The voice screamed again. The pain laced with voice made her heart tremble.

Rowyn choked on the black liquid that made the ocean. Her lungs burned as no air fed them. Rowyn's arms splashed around her and her feet worked tirelessly to keep up head above water.

But soon, exhaustion took over and she began her descent to the bottom.

"Please!" The voice was like a sharp echo in her head. "Help me . . ." The voice was right beside her ear before one final scream sounded and then everything fell quiet.

Rowyn opened her eyes in but she couldn't see anything excepted the black tar-like liquid that she was going to die in.

Her heart slammed against her chest, almost like it was trying to break free. Rowyn closed her eyes and heated her hands to see if that may help her. Her skin began to produce a bright light that sizzled against the thick liquid.

The light allowed her to see that the liquid was made of thousands of hands that appeared to be dripping with a tar-like substance that they were made with it.

The hands lunged for her but she brightened her light and the flinched away. More screams sounded in her ear, distracting her, and then the hands wrapped around her neck.

They were cold . . . colder than ice.

They burned into her skin and Rowyn opened her mouth to scream but she couldn't. They were cutting off her airways. Destroying her from the inside out.

"Just like you did to our Queen." A voice whispered in her ear. Rowyn's vision began to turn murky and her body sunk lower.

And lower.

And lower.

And lower.

Until Rowyn felt her own life slip between her fingers.