chapter forty-seven

"Rowyn!" A scream echoed throughout the hall in a violent, ear-piercing tone. "Wynne, please!" Rowyn's blood ran cold as realization slammed into her chest. Standing in knee-high dark liquid, Rowyn sprinted towards the voice.

"Rowyn!" It was Lucy this time. "Please!" Another scream sounded and Rowyn knew in her chest that it was Peter.

Rowyn turned around as panicked chilled her veins. She couldn't pinpoint the direction as their screams of pure pain pierced through the air. Rowyn's feet took off in another sprint as Peter's heart-wrenching scream sounded a little ways away from her.

"Peter!" She shouted out when Peter came into view. He was older. His cheeks bore a small amount of stubble and his jaw was much more defined than before. Her eyes widened when Jadis appeared behind him with her hand on his throat. Rowyn looked down and saw chains on his wrists and ankles. It was then when they suddenly appeared onto black sand as waves of dark water splashed onto the sea.

Her blood froze.

"No!" She rushed forward but just before she was close enough to touch Peter, hands emerged from the liquid beneath them and pulled her away and down. Then the liquid began to rise.

"Ro-" Peter was cut off but a weak struggling breath to gain air as Jadis tightened her hold on his neck. Jadis' cold eyes watched Rowyn's every move as the liquid reached her chest and more hands pulled her back.

"Let go of him you bitch!" Rowyn struggled against the hands. The liquid was now at her throat when Jadis vanished and Peter came closer to her. Rowyn kicked the hands away and reached out for him as she struggled against the now thicker liquid. "Peter-" The liquid filled her throat and she became fully submerged in the liquid as hands wrapped around her ankle and pulled her down with a violent tug.

Opening her eyes in the liquid, she saw Peter struggling to swim after her. His face bore pain and worry as he couldn't get Rowyn in his grasp. When the metallic taste of the liquid around them burned in Rowyn's throat she realized it wasn't just a black, thick liquid. It was blood.

"Rowyn!"

Rowyn awoke shaking as the same dream from a few months back echoed through her head. Her vision was blurry and panic laced her blood. "Pete?" She asked, sitting up to look around for him. But he wasn't there.

A knock at her door sounded and Nate and Andy appeared in her doorway. "You alright?" Andy questioned as she took in Rowyn's frightened expression.

"You were screaming . . ." Nate said as he walked into her room to sit on her bed while Andy followed. Rowyn ran a hand through her hair.

"I need to talk to you both." Nate and Andy shared a confused, worried glance at Rowyn's words. "If I suddenly disappear or die-"

"Wait what? Die?" Andy cut her off.

"Just listen," Rowyn told them. "I keep having these dreams of Peter being tortured by someone one from Narnia—an old enemy of sorts, they may be nothing for now but if at some point . . . I may need to return there, the only way to do that is to . . . pass on."

Andy's eyes lined with silver. "B-But? You mean you'd kill yourself?"

"No!" Rowyn said quickly. "But something may happen to me that will bring me back there and if it happens I need you both to know that I love you . . . you're some of my closest friends."

Nate pulled her into a tight hug. "Do you know when you would go back?" He asked, his voice cracking a bit.

Rowyn shrugged when he pulled away. "I don't know specifics but I can feel it . . . it'll be soon, I think."

"W-Would we ever see you again?" Andy asked.

Rowyn smiled. "Probably—Peter said that if my dads passed they would go to Aslan's Country so maybe you both will too, but hopefully after you've lived a long happy life here."

"Why can't you live a long happy live here with us?" Andy argued as she cried.

Rowyn took a deep breath. "I don't belong here. Narnia—that world is my true home . . . it's where I was born, where Peter is—my mom too."

Andy smiled sadly and looked down at her lap. "I love you." Rowyn smiled and repeated the words before pulling them both into a tight hug.

"No matter what I'm glad I met you both." Rowyn told them.

Andy began to cry more as Nate soon followed and then Rowyn. "You're so cheesy." Nate cried. They all shared a small chuckle and pulled away. "I guess that means we should make the most of our time together huh?" Nate sniffled.

Rowyn smiled and nodded. "I'd love that." Nate smiled and climbed into Rowyn's bed onto her left while Andy went to her right. The pair held onto Rowyn as they talked for awhile longer, sharing a few laugh, before sleeping finally overtook them once again.

....

Peter angrily grabbed Rowyn's arm and pulled her away before she could enter her tent for the night. "What the hell were you thinking?" Rowyn pulled her arm out of her grasp as her own anger bubble to the surface.

"I had it under control!" She shouted back at him and clenched her fists.

Peter scoffed. "Really, because to me it seemed like you were about to be stabbed in the chest and left for dead!" The twenty-year-old shouted at the eighteen-year-old.

Rowyn flinched at his tone. "If I was stabbed I would just cauterize the wound and get back up! I'm not fragile, Peter!"

His nostrils flared with anger. "Don't pull anything like that again, Rowyn." He began to walk away from her but Rowyn wasn't done.

"Oh fuck off, Peter!" His movements stopped and he turned to her. "I can take care of myself."

"Oh yeah and how many close calls have we had?" He said back through his teeth as he walked closer to her.

Rowyn raised her arms in frustrations as her chain-mail grew heavier. "Well we seem to be doing alright so far!"

"Yeah until one day your cockiness gets you killed and then we all lose you!" Peter nearly screamed and Rowyn's palm dampened as she tightened the fists they formed.

Rowyn's nails dug into her palm almost painfully as her chest heated. "What the hell is wrong with you?" She stepped closer to him.

"You're going to get yourself killed, Rowyn and then that's going to leave all the rest of us with the pain of not having your stupid, annoying, frustrating self around to make everything okay!" He confessed. "If you're going to be overly confident in battle then make sure I'm around so I can help you!"

Rowyn scoffed and shook her head. "I don't need your fucking help, Peter." And then Rowyn's stormed off and into her tent with tears of frustration of anger brimming her eyes.