chapter nine

"It is finished." Aslan said as Rowyn and Peter watched the ashes of the Witch float away into the air, their chests heaving up and down as they gulped down air. "You did good, Fireheart, but you still have much to learn about your gift."

She nodded. "I hope you'll be able to help me learn." He smiled at her and nodded.

"Rowyn! Peter!" Lucy shouted and the pair turned around. Both Susan and Lucy pulled the two into a big hug.

"Oh thank God!" Rowyn cried as she held them all. But then she pulled back suddenly. "Edmund . . ." Was all she said before she ran off and towards where Edmund's body had been.

The dwarf stood over him, ready to swing his small ax down on the boy, but Rowyn snarled and ran over to him.

She cried out as she formed her sword of fire and slashed it across his neck. The sound of his head meeting the ground brought her more joy than she cared to admit.

"Edmund!" Susan shouted and ran over to her brother followed by the rest of her siblings. They all fell to their knees beside him.

His breathing was uneven and scarce. "No no no no." Peter muttered and observed the wound. Susan quickly removed his helmet while Lucy grabbed her vial off of the belt around her hip.

Rowyn watched with teary eyes and Lucy poured a drop into her dying brothers mouth. "Will that help him?" She asked, biting down a cry.

Lucy didn't respond. Once the drop hit his lips his breathing calmed down. His eyebrows furrowed and then his breathing stopped completely for a moment.

Rowyn looked up at the sibling with a heartbroken expression. She couldn't form words for what just occurred.

A sudden gasp for air made Rowyn's heart stop beating for a moment. She looked down and saw Edmund breathing again and looked around at all of them. Susan and Lucy shared a happy smiled and Peter pulled him into his arms.

"When are you gonna learn to do as you're told?" He questioned Edmund with a small chuckle. Lucy and Susan wrapped the boys in a tight hug while Rowyn smiled at them.

Edmund looked up from Peter's shoulder and reached his arms out. Signaling for Rowyn to join. Rowyn let out a half-cry, half-laugh and hugged them all tightly.

They stayed like that for a moment, holding each other so tightly that Rowyn was surprised one of them didn't pop.

But they all pulled away when they noticed Aslan breathing on one of the now made of stone Narnian a few feet away.

Rowyn's eyes widened when she saw him turn back to flesh and blood. "Oh my-" She was cut off by Lucy grabbing her vial and rushing to heal the fallen Narnian soldiers. "Who the hell gave an eleven-year-old a vial of bring-back-the-dead juice?" Rowyn questioned and Peter offered her his hand and pulled her up to her feet.

"Father Christmas." He told her as though it was the most obvious thing in the world.

Her eyes widened and she turned to Susan. "Wait what? Santa has been real all along?"

"Rowyn!" A voice called from behind her. She whipped around and smiled at the man running up to him and hugging him tightly. "Thank Aslan—you're okay!" Tumnus cried into her hair and held her tightly.

They pulled away and smiled at each other. "I was so worried about you." Her vision blurred as she huffed out a small laugh.

Tumnus kissed her forehead and hugged her again. "We're you manipulating fire with your hands? Or am I losing it?"

Rowyn chuckled and pulled away from the hug. She smirked and the flame appear in her palm. Tumnus gasped loudly and gave her an amazed smile. "I'm like my mother."

....

"You look beautiful!" Lucy gasped loudly when Rowyn walked up to the family. Her coronation dress was a deep red and made of velvet that pleasingly rubbed against her skin. The sleeves rested tight against her skin up until her elbow, where they turned into bell sleeves.

Susan's eyes widened. "You look like royalty."

Rowyn's cheeks flushed. "So do you all." She smiled at their velvet dresses and turned to the boys. They all shared a wide smile and Aslan came into the room.

"It is time." He said and the children formed a line; it went Edmund, Peter, Rowyn, Susan, and Lucy.

When they walked into the Great Hall and saw all of the Narnian's happy and smiling at them all, Rowyn's heart fluttered in her chest. The children's faces held bright smiles as they walked up to the thrones and stopped in front of them.

Rowyn carefully dug her nails into her palm, trying to make sure that she wasn't dreaming, and when she didn't wake up, her smile widened.

She was going to be a Queen.

The children turned around, now standing in front of their thrones, to face the Narnian's once again. Rowyn's black velvet cloak, embroidered with flame detailing, twisted behind her as she faced her people with a wide, proud smile.

The Narnians were happy, purely happy.

After all they had been through, she knew that she would make it her duty to ensure that they stayed that way. That no children her age would go through what she did with the Witch. That no family would be torn apart every again.

The beavers and Tumnus walked over to the children holding pillows that held their crowns.

"To the glistening eastern sea, I give you Queen Lucy, the valiant." Aslan's voice filled the hall and Lucy bowed before Tumnus as he placed her crown upon her head, then he moved to Edmund. "To the great western wood, King Edmund, the just. To the radiate southern sun, Queen Susan, the gentle. To the clear northern sky, King Peter, the magnificent. And to the fiery stars above, I give you High Queen Rowyn, the gifted." Rowyn's eyes widened at the crown of silver flames that Tumnus rested on her head.

"Once a King or Queen of Narnia . . . always a King or Queen." He told the children as they sat down on their thrones. "May your wisdom grace us until the stars rain down from the heavens." He moved his head towards the smiling kids and turned towards the Narnians.

"Long live Queen Rowyn . . . Long live King Peter . . . Long live Queen Susan . . . Long live King Edmund . . . Long live Queen Lucy." They all chanted as the children smiled at each other widely.

And so began the start of a new age for all of Narnia.