chapter twenty

As Peter's soft snores filled her bedroom, Rowyn sat beside him with her legs crossed as she read through her fifth book that day.

Pentalin had delivered more "few" books he had on Calormene's history a few days after staying by Susan's side and being there for her. Peter kept his promise to help her and stayed with her for the past few nights reading as many books as they could. But the young King had fallen asleep hours ago leaving Rowyn on her own for a bit.

The Fae must've thought that—because of his immense collection of books—that twenty more books was a very small amount.

"Oh my God," Rowyn spoke out loud and, while keeping her eyes on the words of her book, reached over to slap Peter's face a few times. "Holy shit, Pete—sorry, but you need to read this." She told him as he groggily sat up and rubbed his eyes. His messy blond hair disheveled. "It says here that Calormene flourished with its diversity . . . they welcomed everyone despite their species, sexual or gender identification, they celebrated love and created a save haven for anyone. They thrived for thousands of years up until approximately hundred and five years ago." She paraphrased what she had just read while Peter skimmed the words.

Peter looked up at her. "How do we even know if this is true? Every other book talked about how they were created from slavery—from destruction. This is the first book to say something different. What if someone wrote it just to try and make other's believe wrong?"

Rowyn fiddled with the lilac sleeve of her dress. "What if someone created all of the other books to hide the truth of Calormene's history? To make no one raise an eyebrow at the fact that they completely changed almost overnight . . . Pentalin told me that there used to be thousands of books on their history but one day they just vanished-" She snapped her fingers. "Like that."

Peter moved the heavy book off of his lap. "Okay, now you're sounding a little deranged."

She bit her lip to hide her offense. "What if something or someone came in and corrupted them? What if something is controlling them and that was the real Tisroc calling for help—showing me that he's still in there?" Rowyn said.

"That doesn't excuse what they did—what Rabadash did to Susan." Peter crossed his arms.

"But what if they don't have control—what if they're in there with no control over their bodies-"

"What if they were and they came back? Are you saying that you would let them live? Even after what they threatened? After how silent he made Susan?" Peter's voice rose more as frustration bubbled in her chest.

Rowyn scoffed. "That is not what I'm saying at all. No matter what, Susan deserves to have justice for what they did, but still-"

"Then why does this all matter, Rowyn!" Rowyn tried to hide her flinch.

She took a step closer to him. "It means that there is a possibility that a whole country has been enslaved by someone and they're still in there!" Her skin itched and began to burn. "We can't just go to war and slaughter a whole country—slaughter thousands of people!"

"They enslaved people!" Peter shouted at Rowyn. Her hands burned more. "You said yourself that you want to abolish slavery in this world, but now you're talking about wanting to save these men who have slaves?"

Rowyn's eyes burned now. "If someone is controlling them then they themselves are slaves!" Rowyn's face turned blank as she fell deep into thought.

"What?" Peter snapped.

Rowyn looked up at him with watery eyes. "It said that their downfall began nearly a hundred and five years ago . . . that's when Jadis first appeared in Narnia . . ."

"She's dead." Peter told her, his fists clenching as she thought about what Jadis had done to Rowyn and his brother.

"She's smart." Rowyn replied. "That's how she was able to take over an entire continent! She might have had a backup plan to keep her legacy alive . . . or maybe some of her minions escaped from the war and kept Calormene enslaved with her power even after her death—we didn't find her wand after the battle so what if someone took it? What if someone is using it to keep them-"

"Jadis. Is. Dead. And those men are just monsters who don't deserve our mercy. Not after everything they've done." Peter stared at Rowyn with so much anger that she could've sworn she heard her own heart snap at the expression.

Rowyn's eyes watered. "If you're willing to let an entire country die then fine. You know what, just get the hell out! I'll do it myself." Peter bit down a scoff and reached for her arm but she quickly moved back a step.

"You're gonna get yourself killed, Rowyn—I can't allow that." He told her.

Rowyn scoffed. "Whatever, Peter—just leave." He didn't move and tears escaped her eyes. "Leave!" Her voice broke slightly and Pete's face fell.

But he didn't argue. Didn't try to fight. He just obeyed the High Queen and left the room.

The moment the door slammed shut Rowyn collapsed to her knees and cried heavily until the sun began to rise.

....

"Pentalin?" Rowyn questioned as she walked into his library. The Fae looked up from his book, his red-framed glassed rested on his nose.

"Hello, Queen Rowyn. Did you get the books I sent?" He asked and took off his glasses and closed his book. "Are you alright?" He questioned when he noticed her splotchy cheeks and red eyes.

She waved a hand in dismissal. "Did you ever visit Calormene back when my mother was still alive?"

Pentalin nodded and relief filled Rowyn's veins. "Your mother and I attended one of their love festivals before her coronation."

Love Festivals. That sure as hell isn't something that they would ever have now. Rowyn thought.

"I need you to tell me everything about Calormene before the White Witch appeared and everything you know about my mother's gift."