1| Zane

Life is like a routine

Life is like a routine. You do the same tasks over and over again with no guarantee of any changes of plans till last minute. I have been living in this routine that goes around in circles. A never-ending cycle that doesn't seem to end. 

It feels empty, lonely, and most of all, numb. I don't understand the excitement of life that other people talk about. Stuck in this, I can't find a way out of this life. 

The weekend seems to be one of the shortest things that ever happens, never giving us enough time to adjust. As soon as it comes, it leaves. 

I haven't gotten enough sleep. It's almost turning into an everyday thing but I don't mind it. I'm starting to get used to it.

After a long twenty-minute drive I arrive outside my office building. As I turn around the curve to get in the parking lot, I notice a black car stop right in front of the building next to mine. Instead of stopping to see who it is, I rush to get inside because today is going to be busy. 

I nod my head at the doorman that stands there and get in. 

After arriving at the elevator, I press the highest floor, and upon arriving I exit and go to my office. I set my briefcase down and needing a cup of coffee to keep myself awake I ring Kade up for it. 

"Kade."  

"Morning Sir, in need of coffee?" 

"Yes. Also get here as soon as you can. You need to change a few things on today's timetable."

"I'll be there. Anything else?"

"No. That is all I think." 

I hang up after that and release a long yawn as exhaustion flows through me. The late-night work always leaves me being tired for the rest of the next day.

I stand up and go to my window. Pressing a button on the side, the blinds slowly start to rise up along with the day. I stuff my hands in my pockets and watch them go up, the view of the city always reminds me how much I have achieved. 

The blinds lift all the way up and I see the sun rising with it too. The low buzzing noise of the blinds fills the silence in the office. I take a few minutes looking at the busy streets of Toronto, there is hustle even though it is six in the morning.

Standing here at the top shows me my achievements, the goals I always wanted to achieve reached, getting better and better day by day, the hard work coming to life, the rough obstacles that I faced changed me but it brought this company to life. It is all thanks to her but I'm not giving her the credit; it isn't fair on me. 

Yet I always feel empty. Like there is something missing. Just never content with my life. Although I have everything anyone ever wanted, it isn't how I saw my future six years ago. 

I glance at the building in front of me and see a blur of a person walking around in the building. This is the first time I have seen someone in that building. I look closely but the blinds are only halfway up showing the person's legs only. They are moving around and I can tell it is a girl due to the trousers and heels she is wearing.