Winter Break

The sun was reflecting off the table

The sun was reflecting off the table. Mia was tired, she's always tired now. Mia dressed the part of a happy girl who was satisfied with her life, but her eyes said another thing.

Nora was worried about her daughter, she knows that she's trying to be fine. But Nora wanted her daughter to be happy and her cooking wasn't really helping that.

Mia looks down at the food and wrinkles her nose a bit with slight disgust. Mia lifts her gaze up at her mother, who was also looking at the food with disgust. "It's uh...it's good, mom." Mia lies.

Nora sighs, "No. It's not." Nora chuckles as she sets her fork down. Mia presses her lips together, "It's fine, practice makes perfect." Mia smiles. "Besides, I'm kind of glad that we don't have a housekeeper now...we're independent women." Mia chuckles.

Nora burns her eyes into Mia's. "I heard that Justin Foley's coming back today," Nora says.

Mia inhales, "Yeah, he told me when I visited him. He's having like this...welcome back party." Mia states.

"Are you going?" Nora asks.

Mia scoffs quietly, "No, I think...I'm just going to stay in today." Mia answers.

"You always stay in, Mia," Nora says, with exhaustion.

Mia smirks, "Have I been annoying you that much?" The brunette questions.

"Of course not, but...ever since your...break up with Clay Jensen, you drifting away from your other friends, and Gwen leaving for Winter Break...you rarely do anything." Nora shrugs, looking down at the food.

Mia presses her lips together, "Yeah, I guess I'm just an all-around disappointment." Mia murmurs.

"Mia, that's not what I meant," Nora says.

Mia shakes her head, "I know, I know it's just...why would I go to a party with people I don't talk to anymore?" Mia shrugs.

"You talk to Justin Foley, having one friend there should make it less awkward, right?" She questions.

Mia looks down at her plate. "Okay, I'll go to the party on one condition." Mia holds her pointer finger up.

"Of course," Nora says.

"You learn how to cook." Mia quips, with a smile tugging at her lips.

Nora lets out a soft laugh. Mia smiles, she stands up and grabs her and her mother's plates. Nora has been smiling more. The only reason Mia would smile is so no one would ask her what's wrong. Her nightmares came back the night Clay told her the truth about Monty and Bryce. I guess staying inside all day doesn't help either.

"I'm glad we can joke about how bad of a cook I am." Nora stands up from the table.

Mia walks over to the sink and starts to wash the dishes. "I can help you at your Yoga facility today." Mia states.