Winter Break (2)

"Oh shit!"

"Oh shit!"

Mia slaps Gwen on the arm. The girl turns to her and then at Mia's mom. "Sorry, Ms. Walker. You didn't have to get me anything." Gwen chuckles.

"Nonsense. You're a friend of my daughters." Nora smiles.

Mia looks at Gwen and nods her head. "You must be very special, she's never done that before," Mia says.

Gwen chuckles, "Isn't this, your first Christmas together?" Gwen asks.

Mia looks at her mom and smirks, "Yeah, I mean...we used to go on extravagant vacations. To..." Mia thinks for a second.

"Extravagant places?" Gwen finishes Mia's thought.

Mia looks at her with a crease between her brows. "I don't know if you're kidding or not." Mia laughs.

The oven beeps and Nora smiles, "Those are the pancakes." Nora says.

Gwen raises her brows. "Y-You put your pancakes in the oven?" Gwen questions, she rises to her feet.

Mia sits there for a second, she looks down at her wrist. She lifts up her sleeve and stares at the charm bracelet Clay gave her. "Are you ever gonna move on?" A voice says.

Mia closes her eyes, she quietly whispers under her breath, "Go away..."

She lifts her eyes up and sees her brother staring at her. Mia couldn't rip her eyes away from him. "Why are you still protecting them?" He asks.

Mia's jaw tightens. "They covered up my murder! You might as well have done it as well--"

"I didn't...!" Mia stops talking and she covers her mouth. She turns her head making sure Gwen and her mom didn't notice her talking to herself. She turns back in from of her, but Bryce was gone. She inhales trying to gain the strength to fake a smile. She rises to her feet and walks into the kitchen.

Gwen looks at her, "Yeah, so..." Gwen pulls the burned pancake mix out of the oven.

Mia raises her brows and chuckles, "Mom--"

"I know," Nora says, obviously embarrassed.

Mia turns to her mom and sighs. "You'll get it." Mia assures her.

Gwen thinks for a second before clapping her hands, causing Mia to jump. "How about I cook," Gwen says. "Or...give you guys a quick lesson on how to make pancakes."

Mia snorts, "I've watched Gordon Ramsay cook before, I know what to do." Mia states.

"Yeah, on a television screen." Gwen corrects her.

Mia blinks, "No, I mean...I actually watched him cook for me." Mia informs her friend.

Gwen inhales, "Honestly not surprised about that."