Chapter 9: Training... shattered leg edtion

Zoé POV

"Emma can you teach me to use my sword better?"

"Why would you ask that because your leg was just shattered you need rest!" Emma says surprised.

"Because," I start, "I can't rely on my friends all the time. I need to be able to protect myself."

"Let's do this then."

Mei POV

Zoé left to go train with Emma and Cody and I are still in the library just reading up about a few things in this world. I was reading about something called the 'Queens of Evil' when I heard Regina walk in, she was looking for some spellbook.

I walked over to Regina and decided to ask her something, "How did you learn magic?" Regina turned to me and gave me an astonished look, "Just thought I would ask."

"Well, um, my mother was very powerful so it's just in my blood. Why do you ask?" She responded, I felt like she was hiding something.

"Well, in one of our past realms I got some powers, same with Zoé. She seems to be fine with it and I... I just don't know, it was so sudden and I've barely had enough time to believe in things like magic. The thing is when I got my powers it didn't feel like something new, it felt like something old." I told her just telling her the feelings I've had since we left Cody's Realm. She just looked at me with confusion. Regina walked closer to me and looked up at me since I was significantly taller than her.

"Well, it could be anything. Maybe the magic inside of you is older, maybe it is in your blood, did your parents or lineage have any big meaning?" She asked, getting curious.

"No. My grandmother never said anything, and... I barely remember my mother," I said, remembering the slight things about my mother, though very slim. Regina just shrugged.

"Maybe it's just how your body accepted the magic differently. If you want I know someone that you could go to but it's your choice." She said, turning towards the door. I caved to my curiosity.

"Where?"

"Ask the librarian about her husband. But I'll warn you he's... interesting." Regina said and exited the library and walked down the street.

I turned to the back of the library where I could hear Cody talking with the librarian, I think her name was Belle. I walked down the rows of books until I saw my blonde haired comrade talking with the woman and baby. "Hey, um I was wondering where your husband was."

"Oh, um Rumple should be in his shop. I could take you to him if you want." Belle said turning towards me. I nodded to her and she placed her son in his baby carrier on the table. "Cody... could you watch Gideon?"

"Uh, um... sure?" He said going slightly pale. I moved to let Belle down the hall and I followed her out the doors of the library and I could barely hear in the distance Cody talking to Gideon. "Okay... Let's be real. I have no idea what to do with you."

---

"Here's the shop. I have to get back to the library but have a good day."

"You too Belle." I said to her as she started back down the block to her library. I looked back at the pawn shop. According to Regina this man had the answers I was looking for. I turned back to see Belle enter the library once again.

I finally swallowed my fear and stepped inside of the pawn shop. I looked around and saw tons of random items strewn about the tiny shop. To the sound of the bell above me a man walked out from the back room and stood behind the counter. "Hello Ms. Redd. What brings you into my shop today?"

"Regina told me this was the place to go if you don't understand magic. So, here I am." I said, walking up to his counter and looking into the glass cases of items.

"What seems to be the problem?" He asked, honestly intrigued.

"When I got my magic it didn't feel new, it felt old. Like something I had come in contact to before, and I don't know what it means." I told him, continuing to search the different cases of objects. I saw in a case near the main counter a silver bracelet with a piece of turquoise in the middle. For some reason I felt... drawn to it. Rumple noticed my intrigue in the bracelet and started towards the glass case.

"Oh? That bracelet was found on Neverland, apparently one of the lost boys brought it to the island, he said it was from his tribe." Rumple explained as he took it out of its case and handed it to me.

"It looks like a bracelet my mother once had." I said inspecting it with my eyes. Rumple looked at me with wondering eyes.

"Your mother isn't around anymore?" Rumple asks me. I looked up at the old man and nodded solemnly. "Well, keep it. Consider it a gift for my condolences."

I was very confused, "Why are you letting me keep it?"

"Everything comes with a price, dearie. The time will come when you have to pay a price for that," Rumple pointed to the bracelet, "Just always remember that."

I was slightly freaked out, I just nodded and turned to the door, "Thanks, Rumplestiltskin."

"My pleasure, dearie."

---

*Zoé POV*

It has been like three hours and my leg and arms are throbbing with pain, but here's the thing I can't give up. No not until I'm good enough to protect my friends. David had dropped by giving me a few pointers. After I had hit the dummies a few more times I collapsed.

"ZOÉ!" Emma yelled, "you worked yourself too hard, you need to take a break."

"I *huff* can't *huff* take a break. I need to protect them."

"Listen I know you want to protect them, but you have to take care of yourself. You just broke your leg. It needs time to heal."

"But what if I can't protect Mei or Cody? What if we all die? What if I crack under the pressure?" That's when I started to hyperventilate.

Emma then runs over and pulls me into a hug trying to comfort me.

"Emma, how do you do it? How do you go out there and be the savior when you know people you care about will probably not make it?" I ask her trying to get a serious answer

"I don't even know sometimes. I go out there not knowing if I'll make it back, not knowing if my enemies have killed people I love, but I keep hoping that they'll be okay. You have to keep hoping that they'll be okay," she tells me.

With that we go back to the library to meet up with them. Luckily I'm back in the wheelchair because as soon as we got to the library my right arm was full of pain and it was time to leave. We said goodbye and then we left for the circle.