Part 19

Khushi was seated on the bed silently staring at the room that never became hers, it was painful, all those memories came rushing back. She came here thinking this was going to be her new home, she was going to share this room with her husband and life was going to be perfect, but nothing really turned out like she had expected.

Arnav walked out of the bathroom after taking a really long shower, as usual he had a towel wrapped around his waist and his body little bit wet, it was such a beautiful sight, only that the sight no longer belonged to her.

She looked away immediately and then stood up to leave.

"I'll let you get dressed." She said.

"It nothing you haven't seen before, you can stay, I am not a shy person." He said, Khushi nodded as she sat down once again but she decided to look at the opposite side and let him get dressed, once he was dressed, he walked towards her and sat down beside her.

"Thank you for coming here and supporting me, I don't know how I would have done all this alone. The funeral, the..." He broke down while he was speaking, it was still difficult for him to believe that Anjali had left him.

He hoped it was just a nightmare and he was going to wake up and everything was going to be fine.

"Be strong Arnav, we can't change what happened." Khushi looked at him sadly.

"She was the only family I ever had Khushi, now I have no one to call mine." He wiped off his tears, he never liked being weak in front of anyone, but Anjali's death had left him completely shattered and no matter how hard he tried to stay strong, he just couldn't.

"Once upon a time, I wanted to be your family Arnav, you pushed me away." Khushi said.

"Please don't go there. I appreciate that you came here and cared about Anjali, but things between us would never change." He said.

"Do you really think I came here to change things Arnav? I have some self-respect okay? I won't just come back running here, I have made my life, I love living on my own and I am happy where I am right now.

I came here because Anjali passed away, she meant something to me, and no matter how horrible things between us are, I still care about you and honestly I hate that I care about you." She said as she stood up angrily.

She knew very well how broken he must be after Anjali's death, she only came here to support him and be by his side in such tough times, not to get back with him once again.

"You never really objected what I said, neither did you try to explain anything Khushi."

"You know when a person believes something blindly, no amount of explanation is ever enough, so no matter what I said, you would still believe what you believe and I wouldn't want to do that to myself, explain things to someone that doesn't need me in their life.

I was once a naïve little girl, you know why? Because my aunt kept me away from the world, I dint know what I was going to face outside there, but now that I've faced the world, I've changed, I've become stronger and I've learnt to stand up for myself and know that I shouldn't stay where I am not needed." Khushi said.

Arnav just looked at her sadly not knowing what to say, one part of his heart really wanted to believe that things were different, but how could he? He saw what happened with his own eyes, how could they lie to him?

"It's time for me to leave Arnav, Anjali's funeral is done, I think you will learn how to live without her with time, and I hope the pain goes away." Khushi said as she grabbed her things and headed towards the door.

Kyun Khuda ne, di lakeerein, jisme zaahir naam nahin tera...
Likh raha hoon dard saare, yun to shayar naam nahi mera...

"Will you come back again tomorrow?" Arnav asked.