11

"Help!"

I yelled but no one could hear me. I couldn't breathe. My lungs were filling with water as I gasped for Air. I could feel someone's arm around me trying to pull me up but the river current was too strong.

I felt as something was tied around my waist strong enough to pull me up but something was wrong. The arms that were holding me just seconds before had disappeared. I tried to look for the missing hands but I was too weak, my body failed me and I slipped out of consciousness.

I woke up gasping for air and a pounding headache.

"1.......2.......3.......4.......5......."

I counted out loud slowly taking deep breaths. I was having a panic attack but I was able to recognize it right away. When they first started it was hard to control but it gradually became easier as they occurred less often.

When I caught my breathe I went to the washroom and splashed my face with cold water. It was still dark outside meaning I hadn't slept much. I looked at the time and it was only 1 AM.

I couldn't go back to sleep, not after that dream I had.

I slipped on a gray oversized hoodie over my sleeping clothes to take in some fresh air outside. As I was walking past the living room towards the back door, I saw my mom passed out drunk on the couch with a bottle of alcohol in her hand.

This had become my mother's new routine since my father left. She had begun missing shifts at the restaurant she worked at and started drinking more heavily at the bar every night.

I walked to what was formerly my parents shared bedroom and pulled an extra blanket off the bed. I went back to the living room and removed the bottle of alcohol from my sleeping mothers hand. I made sure she was tucked in well with the blanket so she wouldn't get cold through out the night.

After making sure she looked more comfortable, I carefully slid out the back door without making any noise. When I set foot outside, I noticed there was a dim glow coming from the inside of the treehouse.

Did I leave the lamp on?

I climbed up the rope ladder and peeked my head through the door and saw Chenle sitting in the corner looking out of the window.

I cleared my throat to make my presence visible.

"What are you doing here?" I asked him as I sat in the opposite corner.

"Couldn't sleep." He replied without looking at me. "You?"

"This is my treehouse, I don't need a reason to be here." I muttered.

"Are you mad at me?" He asked almost innocently.

"No ." I hugged my knees close to my chest. "My expectations for you are low, its impossible to make me mad."

He quickly turned his head to me. "I'm sorry I didn't mean it. I had reasons for saying what I said."

"You don't need to apologize. You're always sorry but you never really are, it's okay I've become used to it."

"Yah! You make it sound like I'm the bad guy."

"I never said that."

"Then why are you guilting me on purpose?"

I had no energy to argue with him so I stood up to leave. "I'm not saying you should feel guilty about anything but if the shoe fits...."

I was abruptly pulled back by him. "Where do you think you're going?"

"Back to sleep." I muttered.

I tried to push away from him but his grip was too strong.

"I won't let you leave while you are still mad at me." He gripped me wrist tighter.

"Chenle you're hurting me." I let out a slight yelp of pain.

He let go of my wrist and pulled me into a soft hug.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to hurt you. I just didn't want you to go to sleep mad, it's not good for you."

I pushed him away. "What has gotten into you?"

"I-I...."

"I think it's best if we go back to our own homes, we have school in the morning." I stated in an annoyed tone.

"Y/N I'm sorry." He looked at me with sad eyes.

"I know, you always are."

I left him alone not wanting to see him anymore.

_________________
_________________

Should I do another update today? :)