Chapter 9

Song for the chapter: Insecure by Chiké.

"I've been cheated on so many times.
Them don break me before.
I don't think that I am normal,
Normal, normal anymore.
I think I'm insecure."
__________________________

Munachi

Who said adulthood was all fun and games? If I was still a child and my mother had dragged me to go on an outing with her, I would have been the happiest child alive because the food here was absolutely amazing but right now, everything tasted so bland.

Don't get me wrong, the Nwosu residence was a beauty to behold and the food and drinks on the table looked delicious but I just did not want to be here. I wished Daddy didn't always have to listen to Mummy and give permission to this useless dinner. My dear mother had forced me to wear this horrible dress and do this horrible makeup all because of this dinner with the Nwosu Family.

Sorry my dress and makeup? My bad! My Chanel designer dress and Flawless makeup can't be blamed for any rubbish.

"My darling, I hope you're enjoying the food." Mrs Nwosu said as she picked up her wine glass or should I say precious designer wine glass seeing how her name was written on it.

I mean who the hell writes their name on a wine glass?

I put on a smile when I saw how my mother wagged her eyebrows at me. "This has to be one of the best, if not the best basmati rice and sauce that I've had. Thank you so much for having us."

"Oh I'm glad you love it! It was prepared by the best of the best chefs here in Lagos." Amaka said with a smirk on her face.

I forced out a smile. "Oh really? That's lovely." I said dryly.

Now let me tell you about Amaka Nwosu. The heiress to the Nwosu's Family. A renowned fashion designer and owner of Amy's beauty parlor which was frequently visited by celebrities of all kinds. Proud and snobbish just like her mother and she never failed to brag about her family's wealth and status in Nigeria.

"Yes, You know we Nwosu's deal with only the best of the best, the one percent of the one percent. We do not associate with-"

"Amaka it's enough. I think she gets it now." Chike interrupted her and he looked at me. "Right?"

I nodded slowly. "Right."

Thank God Chike spoke up on time because I was just ready to tell her to shut her mouth up. Speaking of Chike, He had not touched his phone since this dinner started. Although He made a few talks about business here and there but that was it. My mother had sent me a 'I told you so, he's a changed man' look but i wasn't having any of it. The perfect time would come and He'll flop. Well I hope He does.

"So Ada how about that trip we talked about? I hope you're making grand plans." Mrs Nwosu said with her hands folded on the table.

"Oh You don't have to worry about that. I'm making super grand plans." My mother grinned as she flipped her hair stylishly. I quietly groaned as I thought of the drama that was about to unfold before my eyes. I think Chike noticed it too because he rolled his eyes.

The other Nwosu princess, Oma, Chike's immediate younger sister had been on her phone all through the dinner Ignoring everyone and she only talked when she was asked a question while Mr Nwosu wasn't in the country. Oma was closed-off but not proud. She didn't like to talk to people but at least she was better than her mother and her Sister all together.

Mrs Nwosu put on one of her best fake smiles. "Oh is that so? I love that you're taking this seriously. You heard what my daughter said." She stretched her hands towards Amaka who received it with a smile on her face. "We Nwosu's deal with the best of the best and nothing less."