Chapter 10

Song for the chapter: Fame by Adekunle Gold.

"Everybody says don't change but how will I grow?
I'm scared to do the things I want but people don't know."
———————————————————-

Munachi

"We do make a great team."

The more I thought about it, the more anger I felt. Ever since that dinner at the Nwosu's, I had been super mad at my mom and let's just say we were going through one of those phases where I basically avoided her small annoying talks and all her incessant drama.

I hope one day I don't mistakenly say it out loud that my mother engaged in small annoying talks because it's that day that the entire Obiora family will organize a family meeting on my behalf and they will tag it as "How Munachimso tried to kill her mother, Obiageli Obiora."

"Muna pass me the bowl of Abacha let me serve some for your father."

I quietly passed the bowl to her and I resumed eating my own plate of food. Right now we were at the dinning table sitting down to a sumptuous meal of Abacha, Smoked fish, Grilled chicken and Sauced cow skin popularly referred to as Pomo and lest I forget palm wine but I wasn't going to have that because I had plans later on to work on something.

"Chichi are you okay? You've been looking so distant throughout this week and it's Saturday now." My father spoke up for the first time since we started eating.

"Ever since Last Friday when you came back from that dinner with the Nwosu's, You've been this way." He used his right hand to gesture to me. "Did anything happen? Or did anyone speak to you rudely?" He asked.

My mother cleared her throat and I resisted the urge to roll my eyes. I would have loved to spill everything to my father but knowing how my mother was, she always found ways to convince him to do stuff in her own favor.

"Come on talk to me Chi. You know you can tell me anything. Or is it work? I could always talk to your boss."

My mind went back to what happened after the dinner with the Nwosu's. How my mother had planned with Mrs Nwosu to set me and Chike up on a date then thereafter they would start with the marriage preparations and when I had tried talking to her about it she had insulted me and called me ungrateful.

"My dear, I'm sure she's okay. Like you said Maybe it's just work and what did I say about talking at the table?" My mother scolded him playfully as she pinched my father's cheeks and He grinned. On a normal day, I would admire their love but not today.

"Mummy, you know fully well that it's not work so stop pretending." I scoffed and immediately silence overtook the dinning room. Probably because this was the first time this week that I opened my mouth to talk at the table or because of the tone I just used at my mother.

"Munachimso what do you mean by that? Please what rubbish are you even saying?" She dropped her fork on her plate and it made a lot sound. "I'm in a good mood today so I'll let this pass by. But what I'll not accept, Is you disrespecting me like this!" My mother yelled and I think I could see smoke coming out of her ears.

"Mummy please all I want to do now is eat and be on my own. So I beg you don't make this hard for me."

"Wait a minute guys. What exactly is going on here? Is there something that I'm supposed to know?"

"Talk to your daughter. I'm tired of teaching her how to be a responsible woman because I don't deserve this disrespect. All I ever do is make the best decisions for her and as far as I'm concerned I know what's best for her ." My mother hissed and returned her attention back to the food in front of her.