Chapter XXIII

Ed's P.O.V.

I dropped (Y/N) off at her and Mustang's place and was heading over to Hawkeye's to give back the gun she let me borrow. It was still very new to me, knowing her name. The past few days have been absolutely crazy and it hit (Y/N) the hardest. At least she was resting hopefully with some peace. I had made it to Hawkeye's apartment and knocked. As soon as the door had opened I was tackled by a little barking dog. 

"Bad Hayate." Hawkeye said to the dog. I groaned, this seemed to be a regular thing with me and dogs.

"So, I heard you are working for the Fuhrer." I said. Hawkeye looked at me with a softer look.

"Yeah." She said then welcomed me in. I gave her the gun and she gathered materials to start cleaning it after she started some coffee for us. "Looks like this thing went through a lot." Hawkeye said taking the gun apart to clean it.

"Yeah but thankfully I didn't have to us it." I said, looking down at the table. "More like I couldn't pull the trigger." I added. "Pathetic huh?" I asked.

"Tell me what happened." Hawkeye said. I then explained how I stopped Winry from trying to shoot Scar, her parents murderer. I told her how if I wasn't there Winry might have actually pulled the trigger.

"You are only dwelling on this stuff because you came out alive. You have to keep focused on being alive. To protect her. After all you love her don't you?" Hawkeye asked and I spit out my drink almost choking on it. 

"Wha- where did you get that from? I love her as a friend- I grew up with her she is practically family." I stumbled. "Maybe I liked her more than a friend once upon a time but not now." I added, smiling to myself. 

"You are actually in love with (Y/N) huh?" Hawkeye asked. I felt a blush creep onto my cheeks and nodded. "I could tell for quite a while now that she has likes you too. We do also have the occasional girl talk. You mean a lot for her and right now, she needs someone by her side. Usually the Colonel or I would go to her and stay by her side but we are currently on watch. Seeing as how you and (Y/N) are dating, you are the next best option." Hawkeye said with a playful smirk at the end. My blush darkened a little when she finished.

"I will be by her side whenever she needs me. Seeing her so heartbroken and defeated is something my heart wants to help fix. I will protect (Y/N) and everyone else that matters to me." I said with determination. 

Hawkeye smiled at me then her express saddened. "I apologize, for what happened with Scar. That should have never happened." Hawkeye said. 

Time~skip

I got up getting ready to leave, Hawkeye behind me, seeing me out. "You are basically the Fuhrer's personal hostage, are you ok with that?" I asked.

"Well it really depends on how you look at it. To me it just gets me a better chance to kill him in his sleep." Hawkeye said nonchalantly.

I sweat dropped. "You scare me sometimes. Oh also can you give the Colonel a message for me? Tell him Scar is back." I said. Hawkeye nodded with a smile on her face. I walked out the door and turned back to the lieutenant. "Thanks, for telling me about Ishval." I said. Hawkeye kept her smile, saying you are welcome while waving. I then went to find Al.

(Y/N)'s P.O.V.

I rubbed the sleep from my eyes and sat up in my bed. I had totally forgot Ed brought me back here last night. It felt so good to be comfortable in my environment for a change. I heard a knock at the front door and got up with a sigh. I got up, slipping on a robe and headed downstairs. I opened the door and mustered up a small smile.