14 | bubble tea

It was slightly warmer on Wednesday than it had been all week,
yet Luna was still exhausted.

She had been rehearsing consistently with her quartet, working on new solo music, and had been keeping up on her schoolwork.

So needless to say, she was slightly overworked.

However, so was every other conservatory student. There were two and a half weeks left before the final performances or presentations of the term. Everyone in the whole conservatory was on the grind.

She was finally able to take off her jacket and walk around in a t-shirt. For the first time in a while, she was warm enough to relax.

Luna was sitting in the commons during her lunch hour and eating leftovers from the previous night. Her father had been home early and made a proper dinner for him and his daughter.

"Hey, can I sit with you?" asked a voice.

Luna expected it to be Brett or Eddy, but she was shocked when Oliver was pointing to the seat in front of her.

"Yeah, of course." Luna said.

Oliver sat down and took out his lunch from his bag. It was a bag from McDonald's, leaving Luna to be confused.

"Are you playing at the end of the year concert?" Oliver asked.

Luna nodded.

"Yeah, I'm am. Are you?" Luna said.

Oliver shrugged.

"I've been thinking about it. What are you playing?" Oliver asked.

"Debussy Violin Sonata. What have you been thinking of playing?" Luna asked.

Oliver shrugged.

"I was thinking either a Bach suite or a Dvorak excerpt. Dvorak wrote the best stuff." Oliver said.

Luna was in shock. Most people would dismiss Dvorak and only really credit him for his New World Symphony or Cello Concerto, ignoring the rest of his works.

But Oliver actually liked Dvorak as well.

"Yeah, Dvorak really did write some of the greatest pieces. I can't believe you actually like Dvorak, most people kind of just dismiss his music." Luna said.

Oliver shook his head.

"His piano concerto is probably my favorite piece of all time. Naturally, you'd enjoy Dvorak. He wrote really nice viola parts." said Oliver. "He was like you. He played violin and viola."

Luna nodded.

"Yeah, that's why his music always kind of resonated with me. Yes, he was a violinist, but he never just wrote viola parts as easy as they come. Listening to his American quartet always made me feel appreciated as a violist. It didn't make me feel like I had to play violin to be considered talented."

Oliver nodded with a grin.

"He includes those of us who don't get to play the melody all the time. Cheers." Oliver said while holding out a water bottle. Luna touched her metal water bottle to his bottle and chuckled.

"Yeah." she said.

Oliver was scarfing down a cheeseburger that didn't look all that fresh.

"When did you stop by Macca's? Did you skip a lecture or something?" Luna asked.

Oliver shook his head. He took a moment to swallow his food.

"I got it this morning on my way here. Just saved this in my backpack." he said.