Chapter 17

It was the end of June. Billy and you decided to put his Camaro in the shop to make sure everything was running smooth before the trip to California. He drove your truck until the Camaro was done. You decided to take the car your grandpa had left you. It was a 1967 GTO. You babied that car just as Billy would baby his Camaro. You were scheduled to pick up the Camaro July 5th right before the two of you left for California. The two of you were just about packed for the week there, just had to add a few essential and whatever the two of you forgot you would pick up well on the road.

Billy and you went to go talk to Susan a few days after the incident with Niel. When she opened the door to greet the two of you, her eyes widened to the size of golf balls. "Oh sweetie are you ok?" Susan said well giving you a hug, being careful not to hurt you. You nodded your head. You always liked Susan. When Niel wasnt around Susan always seemed a lot more relaxed. She invited the two of you inside and made Billy and you dinner. Since then Susan and Max have come over to the cabin quite a bit for dinner, or even just to check in on the two of you. Billy even began to open up to Susan and give her a chance to be like his mom. He never cared for her before because in his mind no one could ever replace his mom but they were now beginning to have almost like a mother-son relationship which made you happy.

Since Billy was working late you decided to invite Susan and Max over for dinner since you didnt want to eat dinner alone. You walked over to the phone to call them. "Hello?" Said Susan. "Hey Susan, it's (Y/N). I was wondering if you and Max would like to come over for dinner tonight." You said. "We would love to sweetheart. We will see you in about an hour." Said Susan before hanging up the phone.

You had just pulled the lasagna out of the oven when there was a knock at the door. "Coming." You said as you shut the oven and set the pan on the stove.

You opened the door to let Max and Susan inside closing the door behind them. Max gave you a big hug, as did Susan. "Wheres Billy?" Max asked. "Billy is still at work. He's working until 10pm tonight." You said sadly. You really missed Billy when he was working late.

The three of you sat down at the kitchen table and began to dig into the lasagna. "This is really good." Said Susan and Max in unison. "Thank you." You said smiling.

"So, since Billy isnt here I feel like I can ask you this (Y/N). Are you and Billy being safe?" Susan asked nonchalantly. "Mom!" Max yelled. "Why do you ask Susan? Dont you want grandkids?" You winked at Susan giving her a smirk. "No offense Susan, but why does it matter? I plan on loving him until the day I die." You continued. Max almost spits out her across the table at your answer from laughing at your response to her mothers question. "That's the answer I was hoping for. Billy and you were made for each other. The two of you balance each other out." Said Susan smiling. "Thank you Susan. I'm glad you guys moved here to Hawkins. With out that I dont believe I would have ever met Billy." You said smiling at the two of them.

The three of you finished dinner and Susan and Max helped you clean up and wash the dishes before they decided to head home since it was beginning to get dark outside. "Thank you again for coming." You said giving both of them a hug. "You're welcome sweetheart. Also make sure you call me when you get to California in a few days and have fun. The two of you deserve to have some time together to relax." Said Susan. You walked outside on the porch with the Susan and Max, giving them one last hug before they left.

You lit up a cigarette just taking the evening breeze in. It was so calm and peaceful tonight. You just wish Billy was here next to you to fully enjoy it. After you finished your cigarette you decided to head inside to take a shower before laying down in bed. It had been a long week at work and you were finally on vacation. You took a few extra days off since your dad didnt seem to mind. He knew you needed a vacation away from everything.

As you layed down in bed you decided to look through one of your photo albums. It was filled with pictures of you, Steve and Billy during your senior year. You couldn't help but smile as all of those memories came flooding back. You decided to grab your Polaroid and put it in your suitcase so you could make a photo album of the trip to California with Billy.

You looked over at your alarm clock. It read 10pm. You knew Billy was finally off work and heading home, you just didnt know the danger he was in.

Billy was on his way home. He was flying down the road with just one thing on his mind. You. As he was passing Brimborn Steel Works like he does every time he goes to and from work. Something slammed ontop of the windshield causing it to crack. Billy tried to swerve and almost ran into a tree. Billy's head jerked. He pressed his finger tips to his forehead. He looked back down at his finger tips. Blood. He tried to start the truck back up but all it did was rumble. He got out of the truck to take a look at the damage of it. "Shit shit shit. She's going to be so pissed." Billy mumbled to himself. He looked at the crack on the windshield noticing some sort of slime ontop of the crack. He suddenly heard movement right by him. "Who's there?" Billy demanded. No answer. "I said who's there?" Billy yelled once more. He was then grabbed by the ankle by a tentacle-like arm as a creature pulled him into the wearhouse. Billy screamed. As he neared the steps towards the basement of the wearhouse Billy did the only thing he could think of, put his hands out to grab onto the door frame. The creature was still able to pull him down the steps. Billy continued to scream as loud as he could hoping someone would hear him. Billy was now face to face with the creature. He remembered you telling him stories as to what Will had seen. You called it the mindflayer. Now Billy knew exactly what he was dealing with. Before he could run away the mindflayer attached his tentacle-like arm to Billy's face pinning him there. He was completely frozen in fear. Billy had no idea what the mindflayer was doing to him but he would soon find out.

The mindflayer finally released Billy. Billy ran back up the stairs to jump back into the truck and drive down the road to where he knew a pay phone was so he could call you. As the phone rings all the memories of him being dragged down come flooding back. He ends up in the upside down. He quickly hangs the phone up as he begins to hear foot steps coming his way. He steps out of the phone booth to see who it is.

"Hey what do you want?" He yells. No response. "I said hey what do you want?" He yells once more. Still no response. "I said what do you want." Billy yells again. He was now face to face with himself. But the other Billy wasnt alone. There was a group of people standing behind the other Billy. "To build. I want you to build." Said the other Billy. "Build what?" Billy asked. "What you see." Said the other Billy. "I dont understand." Said Billy. There was red lightning cracking in the sky and the other Billy and the group with him were suddenly gone. "I dont understand. What do you mean I don't understand." Billy yelled once again.

He quickly made it back into the truck and drove home. He was so shaken up. Once he got back home he heard light snoring coming from the bedroom. He knew you were asleep. He didnt want to wake you up so he decided to sleep on the couch. He was still worried about what was all going on and he didnt know how to tell you about it because he didnt even know what was all going on. He just knew he was scared. Not for himself, but for you. He loved you and he had made a promise to keep you safe. He feared that what ever happened tonight to him would end up causing him to break that promise. He quietly crept to the bedroom door to see you curled up in bed with the photo album laying next to you in bed. The sight of you laying in bed asleep without a care in the world broke his heard because he knew you werent safe. No one was safe. He decided it was best to go lay down on the couch and tell you in the morning.