What Is This AU About?

So I'm guessing many of you have read a soulmate AU before, they're very popular. However, if you haven't, that's what this whole mini-chapter is for. Sorry if I'm bad at explaining. You can skip this chapter if you want, the story starts in the next "chapter".

What are soulmates?
A soulmate is kind of like a destined partner. In this AU not everyone has a soulmate. Most people are born with a matching tattoo somewhere on their body that they share with their soulmate. The tattoo can be several things. Items or symbols of the people and their personalities combined into the tattoo is the first and most common one. Second is an event that shaped the identities of the pair (This event must affect both of them). The final type is a combination of both. The last one is the rarest.

Can the tattoo be covered up or removed?

It can't be covered up by other tattoos. Also, sharpie or other markers can't cover it up either. Any scars in the same area as the tattoo won't damage the tattoos design, they just make indents. The tattoo also can't be removed. It can, however, be hidden by clothing, gauze wrap, bandaids, and other items of this nature.

Can people lose their soulmates?
Yes, people can lose their soulmates in this AU. If one person's soulmate falls in love with someone else, the tattoo fades. The tattoo can only fully disappear if the soulmate dies, whether they were in love with their soulmate or not.

I hope this clears stuff up for everyone before I start writing. Thanks for reading!!
-Muse