Chapter 1

Loosing something you worked so hard to earn felt like the world was crumbling down. It was followed by a strong feeling of humiliation, the taste of lament still fresh on her tongue. 

Estella was handed her resignation after being accused of treachery— using her position at the firm, her Id was used to check in some high intel data that was delivered to their other competitive firms. 

It was a clear set up.

They all knew but someone had to take the blame and she was all they had to get rid of the problem, a perfect target for the employer to pin the blame for falsified financial audits and reconciling bank statements. And the leaked tender code was on the top of the list of wrongdoings under her name. 

She wanted to fight back, planning to sue the firm as suggested by her father but she couldn't help but think how awful the working conditions were—the workload and the lack of friends. Over the last one year, she made none. 

Her desk was cleared at the end of the day to give her an unannounced departure, to avoid the eyes of her colleagues. She was told that her story wouldn't be discussed in open and she could leave quietly, keeping confidential. 

Thanks a lot! 

Her destination was to go back home, cry out, however she found herself climbing up to the rooftop. It was a place she visited whenever she was overstressed with her work. The night had set and the only light from a bulb next to the gate was illuminating the terrace. 

She placed her corrugated box on the balcony that had her belongings including a half finished beer inside a brown bottle, and a photo frame. 

She rested her elbow on the balcony as the view of the entire city came in front of her. The temperature had dropped, she pulled her coat tighter, smelling the faint smell of burning something perhaps the burned sugar from a nearby factory as she shook her hair out of her eyes and stared blankly. 

Her life flashed before her. Everything went to waste, including her dream. 

"I didn't know someone was here." A voice startled her and if the wall that served a balcony wasn't there, she might have lost her balance. 

She frowned, turning her head to the voice for startling her. Next to the box stood a man, a little taller than her, hands in pocket, heaving a deep sigh. 

"Who are you?" Asked Estella, taking in his appearance. She for sure didn't know him. The man spared her a glance before fixing the cuff on his coat. 

"Don't worry I'll be gone after a—" he pulled out a pack of cigarettes, gracefully taking one out and putting the rest back to its place. 

"I've never seen you before," she said, feeling the cold air brushing her face, feeling the urge to sneeze anytime soon. 

"Because I don't work here." He fetched out a small device and until he flipped it to the side like a slider, she realized it was a fancy lighter. The flame came infront her, revealing his face in a more neater view than the bulb that was way behind them. 

He looked young, probably her age, dressed professionally in clothes of dark shades, eyes may be black, hair neatly combed back, beard trimmed which he topped them all with his  cogent look. He was quite the catch. 

The flame was gone, the cigarette lit and Estella turned face back at the buildings she was staring at. 

"It's cold here. " he said, looking at her bare and tangled legs before settling his gaze back at the thin coat she wore. 

"My jacket's in the car." She told him. "But I have something to help me with. " 

He watched her once more as she reached for the beer bottle. The photo frame was knocked to the other side of the big box. She took a gulp. "You still haven't told me about you?"