Try Harder

I came late for lunch and everyone was already seated when I sat. No one acknowledged me, not even Skylar. I looked at everyone questioningly but no one glanced at me. Just then Sam picked up her apple and ate out of it, "Omg Jess! I think this apple is bad. Let me get a new one. Oh wait! What if the apple thinks I'm using it as a rebound?". Jess fake gasped, "That's true! We don't want to hurt the apple's feelings". I rolled my eyes at them. Then Jace fell his fork on the floor, "Shit! I can't use that fork again. Jeff please can I have your fork?". Jeff shook his head, "No Jace. My fork is not a rebound for your fork!". I frowned while Sky smiled amusingly.

"You guysssss what the hell!", I said in frustration. "No, you Rue! What the hell?", Sam snapped. Sam has never snapped at me before and I was surprised. "You don't get to kiss my brother and then walk out on him and give some dumb excuse about rebound", her voice started to rise and people were starting to glance towards our direction. "Do you know how long he has had feelings for you? My brother doesn't just catch feelings and he caught them for you. He watched you talk about your boyfriend for months and didn't complain. And now, you kiss him and walk out? Rue, I'm your friend but I don't joke with my brother", she said finally. Tyler had walked across to hold her and take her out.

I sighed sadly as everyone on the table looked at the table. We have never yelled at each other before so everyone was still shook from Sam's yell. Jess held my shoulder, "She'll come around Rue but please think about it". She picked her bag and ran after them. Skylar got up and pulled me with him. We got to his secret classroom and he dropped his bag on the floor and turned to me. "Rue, what is going on?", He said gently. I started crying, which is something that I have been doing often, "I don't know Skylar. I don't... I mean I thought I did...but now I don't know... I broke up Noah and I'm kissing Blake... I feel like I'm using him". "Did he tell you he was feeling used? Did he look like he was feeling used?", He questioned. I shook my head then he grabbed both my shoulders, "Then what is stopping you?". I just stood there staring at the floor, completely speechless. He picked his bag, "Rue, everyone leaves so always make the best of those you love right now. Don't waste time or you just might regret it. "You can use the classroom for now but make sure you lock up" and then he left. I sat on the stool, stared at my sneakers and thought.

I knocked on Sam's door, I was fidgeting abit. Jess told me that her roommates were out so she was the only one in. "Tyler? Is that you? Go away if you didn't bring tacos!", I heard her yell. I opened the door gently, "What if I brought pizza?". She turned around to face me and then she dropped the clothes she was folding. I stepped further into the room, "Sam I'm so sorry. I don't know what I was thinking. It was selfish of me to think that way. I'm really sorry and know that I would never want to hurt Blake intentionally". I looked at her with pleading eyes and she sighed, "I know Rue. I'm sorry for lashing out at you. I didn't mean it either". I shrugged, "It's okay. That's what siblings do for each other. Forgive me?". She smiled softly, "Come here". I walked up to her and she hugged me tightly, "Let's never do that again". "Yeah", I laughed. "Am I interrupting something?", Tyler's head poked through the open door. "Yes!", we both yelled.

Tyler told me that Blake was at the football field. I bought us two bottles of coke because I'm sure he'll need it. I walked into the field and noticed that no one was there except him. He hasn't noticed me yet so I drop my bag and the bottles of coke beside his stuff and walked further into the field but behind him. He kept passing the ball to himself and trying to score from different sides. Then, the ball hit the post and rolled towards my direction. I caught it with my foot and looked to see Blake looking at me.

"How long you been here?", He said resting his hands on his waist. He was dripping in his sweat from top to bottom. "About 10 minutes. This is how you let off steam?", I gestured to the field. He nodded as I kicked the ball towards him and he caught it, "How're you and Sam?". I looked at him in shock, "You saw that?  He shrugged, "Yeah. Sam rarely lashes out at people though". I nodded as I walked towards him, "Blake, I'm really sorry for yesterday". He started to wave me off but I continued, "I shouldn't have walked out on you after kissing you. I was just scared that it would look like I was using you to get over Noah which I'm not. I don't want to break up with one person and jump into another. It's happening too fast but I want to savour all of our moments". He sighed and looked at me intently, "So what are you saying?". I stopped directly in front of him and looked into his deep hazel eyes, "I'm saying I like you too Blake and I want us to happen but let's take it slow". He stood shocked and was utterly speechless for a while but smiling and mumbling "Sure. I can do slow". "Now pass to me", I said and started running backwards. "What?", He said confused. "Pass the ball!", Immediately I said that, I tripped and fell backwards before Blake could catch me.

"It's not funny. My butt's sore!", I smacked his shoulder. Blake kept laughing at me since I fell on my butt. I was using the cold coke bottle that Blake rejected to cool my butt while drinking mine.

"Why would you get coke?", He looked at me confused. "Because you need the energy duh!", I said in a matter of fact tone. He turned to me and started talking like a teacher and I was the child, "Rue   after   footballers  finish   playing, they   drink water   okay?". I frowned at him, "At least I tried!". He ruffled my hair and stood up, "You'd have to try harder if you want to be my girlfriend" and he ran into the field.

I sat there speechless and also blushing...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Go Blue Go Blue!