Walking Genius

Exams are here and boy, am I tired. The library has become our cafeteria/ice-cream parlor. We hang out there all the time and I think they need to pay the librarian more for all our trouble. Blake, Jack and Tyler were literally our tutors. If we were reading and we didn't get something, we would just immediately turn to them but sometimes we had to help ourselves because the time for our papers vary. "Urghhh I'm still not getting this labour force stuff", Sam groaned. Jace laughed and turned to her, "It's like the number of people available to work at that particular period. Like the number of people in the working age. You get?". Sam just stared at him more before groaning into her book and everyone laughed. Jace explained more to her till she eventually understood.

"Rue!", I turned at the sound of my name. Jace ran up to me and smiled. I smiled back waiting for him to speak. He shuffled his feet as he spoke, "It's about Sky. I haven't really heard from him since exams started and I just thought you would know since you guys are kinda close". I texted him yesterday and he said he was okay but I was planning on going to his house later on. "He's okay. I checked in yesterday but I'm going to his place later on", I said to Jace. "Oh cool. Could you help me give this to him. I haven't had the chance to", he said as he pulled a book out of his bag and handed it to me. "Yeah sure", I said as I collected the book. "Thanks! See you tomorrow", he hugged me and ran off. I walked slowly as I went through the book. It looked like a jotter of some sort and it belongs to Skylar. Either Skylar recopied his textbook or he has a brain of a computer, I thought as I walked into Domino's to get pizza for Skylar.

I knocked on the door and it opened. I thought I'd see Skylar but Ryan's face greeted me. Immediately he saw me, he eyed me up and down before walking back into the house leaving the door open. I followed in closely, minding my every step. "He's upstairs", he said as he walked into the kitchen. "Thanks", I mumbled as I walked up the stairs. I walked cautiously and I stopped in front of a door. I knocked but no one answered so I opened the door. The room was neat and it had a cool aura. I walked in and saw a stack of books. Omg! Are those Steve Cavanaghs'! Kill me! I smiled excitedly before I heard someone clearing their throat. I turned around fast to see Ryan's raised brow. "Oh I'm so sorry. I thought this was Skylar's room and then I saw the books. So sorry", I rambled as I passed him to leave but then he spoke. "You're a Cavanagh fan?", He asked. I turned flustered and nodded too fast, "Yeah. I love his books. One of the few books I've actually read". He nodded and for a minute I saw a slight smile before he turned, "His room is down the hall". I nodded again before silently leaving.

I found Skylar's room easily cause I could hear the guitar strings as he played. I opened the door and quickly shot it behind me flustered at my earlier encounter. Skylar looked up at me confused. "Why are you looking so red", he asked as he watched me closely. "Nothing. I just missed my way here", I said as I walked in and dropped my bag and the pizza box on his bed, pulling out his book. "You didn't tell me you were a genius", I smirked at him as he turned his stool towards me. He looked at me flatly, "I forgot to get that from Jace, thanks". He tried to collect the book from me but I pulled it back, "You didn't answer me". "You asked a question?",He smirked as he stood up and grabbed the book from me. I pouted as I folded my hands, "You left me to do all my studying when you're a walking genius. How dare you?!". He laughed as he dropped his guitar in it's case not minding me. "Tell me how do you do it!?", I frowned. "Fine", he said as he sat on the bed facing me. I sat excitedly as I waited for him to speak. "Close your eyes", he said. I did as he told me to. "Now imagine yourself as a genius", he continued. I started imagining myself with geek glasses and saying big words with Jess. "I'm imagining!", I said to Skylar with my eyes closed but there was no response. "Skylar, what next?", I asked as still with my eyes closed but he still didn't speak. Then I heard him moan. What the hell? I opened my eyes to see Skylar devouring the pizza I got him. "Hey!", I yelled as I hit him.

Skylar and I ended up studying for a bit and then we spoke about random stuff. He told me how he had a talk with Ryan. I smiled as he told me that Ryan was ready to get a stable job and was no longer interested in illegal stuff. He looked happier than usual. I was happy for him and Ryan. I mentioned my encounter earlier with Ryan and Skylar just laughed and mentioned how Ryan has always been a sucker for thriller books. We spoke for a while before we decided to go downstairs and look for something to eat.

As I got down the last step, the smell of pasta hit my nose. "I guess Ryan's already cooking", Skylar said as he walked straight for the kitchen. I followed him awkwardly into the kitchen. There was Ryan, serving three plates of pasta and sauce. "Dinner's ready", he said to no one in particular. Skylar smiled and walked in. He took a seat while I just stood standing. I watched awkwardly till Ryan looked up at me with his brow raised, "You don't like pasta?". I shook my head and I awkwardly joined them at the table. Skylar laughed at me and he received a frown from Ryan. We ate silently till Ryan cleared his throat and looked intently at me, "This is where I pretend to care about the kind of friends my brother keeps". Skylar smiled as I gulped down water quickly. "Are you new? I've heard of Samantha, Jessica and the guys", he said as he continued eating. I cleared my throat before speaking, "Umm yeah. I transferred sometime in September". He nodded, "I guessed so. Since September, Skylar won't stop talking about it". I choked as Skylar blushed a bit before frowning at his brother, "You know that's not true". Ryan laughed before clearing the air, "Fine I was kidding. Now to the real question I want to ask you". I felt a bead of sweat drop from my face because clearly I'm intimidated by this guy. I mean I was till he spoke, "The ending in Thirteen by Cavanagh, did you see it coming". I widened my eyes as I smiled widely, "No I didn't! I was like wait what?". Ryan laughed loudly, "Same reaction!". Skylar groaned as he stood up and walked away.

"Skylar! I'm going! Please bring my bag with you", I yelled as I wore my shoes. "Coming!", He yelled from upstairs. I turned to face Ryan at the door. He gave me a big smile before speaking, "I know I was rude the other time you were here and I know Skylar told you why because I've gathered that both of you are pretty close so I want to apologize and thank you for Skylar". I stood puzzled, "You don't need to apologize, I'm just glad Skylar's happier now and you don't have to thank me, he's my friend". He ruffled my hair and walked away. I blushed just as Skylar jumped down the stairs. "Let's go! I'm dropping you off", he said as he put his arm around his shoulder and pulled me towards the door. "You don't have...", I started saying before he shhed me and pulled me outside.

"You're looking red again", he said as we walked down the block. I walked quietly not answering him. He nudged me before smirking, "You find Ryan attractive don't you?". "Shut up", I muttered immediately. He laughed as he walked on, "His Instagram handle is _ryan.thatguy". I stopped and  quickly crammed it in my head before catching up to Skylar who continued to tease me.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Who else is in loveeee with Skylar and Rue's friendship? They're super cuteeeeee.

I love that Ryan is trying to step up as Skylar's big brother and he and Rue can relate on a certain level. I don't want to cause more conflict for Skylar.

Exams will be over soon!!!