In a sweaty Jersey?

"What are we going to wear?!", Sam yelled. Jess yelled back, "I don't know! Whatever we wear will project our spirits", she said throwing all her clothes out of her closet. "We should've planned this earlier. It's almost time!", I said frantically searching through my clothes. Then there was a knock on the door and we froze, staring at the door. The door opened and in came Blake, Jace and Tyler. "What are you girls doing? Why aren't you dressed?", Blake asked us. Next thing we knew jerseys landed on our faces. Then they started pushing us into the bathroom, "Chap chap. Off you go", Jace said as he pushed Jess.

Sam was in Tyler's jersey, Jess was in Jace's and I was in Blake's. We were practically swimming in the jerseys but we tied it around our waists and topped it up with black bandanas on our heads. "Let's go!", We all screamed.

Everywhere was wild. There were alot of people from the rival school and almost everyone from our school. There was a separate bleacher for our parents. Mum didn't want to come because she never had interest in football, but Jordan kept pestering her so they're here somewhere. We walked towards our seat which was close to the front, courtesy of the guys. We spotted Jeff and Sky from afar and went to meet them. "Hey guys", Jess waved at them. They both eyed us from top to bottom before Jeff sulked, "Why didn't we get jerseys too?". We laughed and sat down as Sam muttered, "Maybe you should consider dating a cheerleader so you can wear their "jersey" and have their pompoms". Jeff scowled at her before diving back into his popcorn.

The cheerleaders appeared and performed their stunts but it was clear the moment everyone was waiting for. There was a loud roar as the players ran into the field. The buzz of excitement was everywhere, I had never felt anything like it. Blake and the other captain stood opposite each other as the referee flipped the coin. Blake started searching the crowd till he found our row and we started cheering him. He smiled as he zoned in on me and I mouthed, "You got this!". He smiled and turned back as the referee said "Tails". Game on.

Although I had not learnt a single thing from all of the replays, I still felt like I knew most of the moves of the game so at many points during the game, we just kept shouting at the players even though they obviously couldn't hear us. During the game, as our team guy was about to score, he suddenly fell and everyone gasped. I remembered my conversation with Blake and smiled, "Don't worry guys. He's just trying to cheat". They all looked at me like I was insane while Sam spoke up, "Rue, that guy intentionally tackled the other guy. He's really hurt". The colour drained out of my face as I leaned forward to see that our team member was actually in real pain. The medics took him and someone else substituted him. The commentator then yelled through the mic that it was a penalty.

So Blake is taking the penalty shot. There's silence everywhere, not even a single sound. We crossed our fingers as Blake's foot played around the ball. "Come on buddy, come on buddy", I muttered to myself and then he shot.

GOAL!!!!

The game kept going and now they had 5 minutes left. The score was 4-3, our team leading. Our team changed tactics and decided to block any chance the rival school had at scoring. We all watched with transfixed eyes and rapidly beating hearts then the whistle blew.

We won!!!

Everyone jumped and screamed. Sam nudged all of us to run out and meet the guys. We ran through all the crowd, screaming and yelling. I don't even know when we separated. Then I spotted him, the captain of the team, the ridiculously handsome fellow who has won my heart. He turned around and spotted me as I ran with joy. He smiled and put his hands out to catch me. I ran into his arms squealing and yelling, "You did it! You fucking did it!". He smiled and tried to smoothen my hair, "Couldn't have done it without you". Then he put his arm around my shoulder, "Did you see the guy that fell?". I widened my eyes as I explained what happened, "Yesss I really thought he was trying to cheat". He laughed and ruffled my hair which he just smoothened, "I knew you would".

A lot of people were trying to get Blake's attention but he smiled and waved them off as he held my hand in his as we maneuvered out of the crowd. "Andrews!". We stopped and turned around to see the coach. He smiled and shook Blake's other hand because he won't let go of mine, "Congratulations Andrews, you did it". He started to walk away when he stopped and smiled at me, "Don't let go of this one", he said to Blake who just smiled in return, "Don't plan to".

We finally got out of the field and we spotted Sam and Tyler talking to two elderly man and woman. Blake smiled and pulled me with him. Are we meeting his parents right now? In a sweaty jersey?

"Mom", Blake said as he finally let go of my hand to hug his mother. She smiled widely and hugged her son tightly then she squealed, "I recorded every single bit of the game". He stood back and smiled at her, "Of course you did". He turned to his dad who also welcomed him with some kind of man hug, "Well played son", he patted his back. Blake smiled, "Thanks Dad".

I stood there awkwardly smiling till Sam came to nudge me forward, "Mum,Dad meet Rue!" Then she gestured to her parents, "Rue meet Mum and Dad" she smiled widely. "Nice to meet you, Mr and Mrs Andrews", I smiled awkwardly. Her mum pulled me into a hug, "Darling, no need to be so formal. We've heard so much about you that you're practically family. I'm Marissa". I laughed and eyed Sam slightly and she just smiled back. Then Mr. Andrews cleared his throat, "I see you're not only friends with my daughter" he said as he eyed the jersey I was wearing. Oops

I blushed while everyone laughed and Blake put his arms around me and smiled.

Sam's parents had to leave early cause of a meeting her dad was having. We were walking back to find the others when I heard someone yell my name. I smiled happy to hear the voice I grew up with me. I turned around and spotted Jordan waving at me, my mum beside him. Jordan opened his hands but I ran into my mum instead. "Oh wow. Way to kill my excitement", he muttered. I laughed and we did our sibling handshake before I finally hugged him tightly. "I missed youuu", I said as he patted my back, "Yeah yeah you always do". I punched his shoulder as the Blake, Sam and Tyler joined us.

"Jordan!", Sam yelled as she hugged him. "How're you?", She smiled as she ruffled his hair. Glad to know it's not just me that's suffering it. He just smiled back at her sweetly, "I've been good". She stood beside him again and squealed, "Jesus, you're growing really tall!". He laughed. Then I introduced Blake and Tyler to my mum since Sam had already met her and is still trying to take a selfie with her right now. "Mrs Evans, what do you use for your skin! You're glowing! I wanna be like you when I grow up", Sam said as she clung to my mum's arm.   I scoffed at her and my mum scolded me. Well done Sam.

"Dudeee you're so good! You have to mentor me". I turned to see Jordan smiling at Blake who in turn was smiling back. "Sure. If your sister decides to invite me over", he said smiling at me. I looked away blushing just as Jordan replied, "If she doesn't, I will". "Jordan get in the car! We're going to be late for family dinner with the McKenneys", my mum yelled from inside the car. "Coming mom", he yelled back and as he passed me, he squinted his face dangerously and whispered, "You better invite him". I laughed and pushed him towards the car. Then we waved as the car drove off.

Suddenly, Jack jumped on Blake and Tyler out of nowhere, "Fellas! Let's get this party started!".

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~