Chapter 13 ~ How are you?

6th of April 1795

~Charles's pov~

I stared coldly around at my surroundings. The room was dark and cold as usual. I sighed slightly and stared down at my skinny, pale hands. They were shaking slightly from the cold. It was spring but I was always like this.

Weak.

I leaned against the headboard and pushed my wispy blonde hair out of my face. I looked towards the window and shifted, sitting against my pillow.

"I hope your okay Frederick," I mumbled slightly at the moon. I shivered slightly and moved my blanket closer to my chest. It was lonely like this because Frederick was basically my only friend.

Ever since last year when I became ill, I haven't been able to talk or play with any of my friends. Because that's what my dad wanted, he was very protective of us but especially me. Ever since I was born I was very sickly, the royal physicians thought I was going to die. But I lived and now I was alone.

Alone because of my own fault, because I was sick and unwell. I couldn't already be a normal boy because of my status but now with this, I'm left even more lonely. At least Frederick was allowed near me, only him, my mother, my sister and my father were ever really allowed to talk to me. But with Frederick gone, I could only talk to myself.

My mother is always so distant from me, my father is too annoying to have a normal conversation and Matilda likes to pretend I don't exist. So Frederick was all I could find company in even if he was 18 and I was 12, I found company and solace with him.

"Charles!" An excited voice called out and my father burst into my room. I looked at him oddly, my eyes widening. My father ran up to my bed sitting down next to me. His eyes were full of joy and he waved an envelope in his hand. "Your brother's letter arrived!" I smiled slightly and he moved closer to me scratching at the paper. His hair was slightly messy and his attire wasn't its usual self. I looked at him closely and saw an odd mark on his shoulder. "What's that?"

I pointed towards the bite looking thing. My father paused and he chuckled awkwardly fixing his shirt collar. I looked at him oddly and he moved his hand signalling me to look at the letter. I crawled closer to him and look down at the letter.

Dear Mother, Father, sister and brother

I hope you are all well, at the time of me writing this letter I've been in America for almost a month now. It is really nice here and I've made friends. Three of which are William, Felix and Hanna. They are all really funny and nice and are quite different from my friends back home. They don't care that I'm a prince and they treat me like a person, not a title. I find this very charming and great.

There is also a really cool bakery run by a couple, Mr and Mrs Clarke. They also have two twin sons and a daughter Kayla Clarke.

Not to mention that I almost got shot. But that's probably a story for when I get home. Anyway I hope you are all well, I've also changed residence and I am now staying with Mr and Mrs Seabury. They are Will's parents by the way.

Anyway thanks for letting me come to America. It's really nice and I can't wait to do and see more.

Love Frederick,

My father paused and he muttered something under his breath. He stood up and hugged me placing a kiss on my forehead. I looked at him and his face was more serious than usual. The letter was tight in his grasp and his expression was more strained than usual. "Dad?" I peered at him, my father moved towards the door ignoring me. It closed and my eyes widened slightly.

I had no idea why my father had just up and went. I sighed slightly and wondered why my father stormed off. I looked to my pale hands and felt an odd sensation in my chest.

My lungs felt a stinging pain and I coughed into my hand. The cough was painful and sharp and I closed my eyes. I looked down at my palm and saw a splatter of blood resting. My eyes widened and I felt my head become light. I coughed again and closed my eyes tighter.

"Not again."