Chapter 16 ~ Flintlock

7th of April 1795

~Frederick's pov~

I stared awkwardly at Samuel in front of me. My head was dizzy and the rest of my body was numb. I had no recollection of the night before except for the fact that I agreed to a duel.

Well that was what I was awoken with. William said that I apparently kissed Oscar's girlfriend making him angry and since I was drunk on wine I provoked him so much that he challenged me to a duel. And being drunk I agreed.

"Well, then Frederick what are we going to do about this?" Samuel looked at me closely. I stayed still and Ella pulled out a seat, sitting down next to Samuel. "Getting drunk? How much alcohol did you drink?" Samuel glared at me. I dizzily thought for a while, "Maybe two or three glasses of wine?" I mumbled. Samuel looked at me oddly but then sighed, "You got your father's liquor tolerance than."

I smiled awkwardly and he sighed, "Well anyway enough about how you got into this mess, now how are we going to approach this?" he questioned. I looked at him and bowed my head into my hands, "I have no idea, I'm probably going to die." I worriedly spoke. Samuel coughed slightly and he handed me a pistol. "I've never experienced a duel but I know what goes down. Take this."

I held the pistol in my hands, the cold metal pressing against my skin. I looked up at Samuel nervously and Oliver and Ben walked in.

"What's happening here?" Oliver questioned in his usual manner. Samuel and I turned around and William popped out from behind them. "Frederick got drunk in wine and kissed some girl, the girl's boyfriend challenged him to a duel," Will explained. Ben's face became worried and Oliver scoffed. "Well the kid's done for then." he chuckled. Ben hit him across the head and he winced slightly in pain. "What? I just find this ironic," he smirked.

Ella glared at Oliver, "What do you mean?" She questioned aggressively. Oliver folded his arms and smiled, "Frederick's death will be caused by the same reason he was born. Some British guy getting drunk on wine." He explained. I looked at him oddly, "What..." Oliver leapt to answer me but Ben held him back smiling, "Nothing-"

I smiled awkwardly and Samuel stood up holding my shoulders. "I'm going to take Frederick here to Mr Hamilton for some advice." I stood up nervously and I picked up my jacket swinging it over my arms. Samuel chuckled slightly and ruffled my hair. Will quickly ran next to me and we started to walk out the door. "You find the best ways to screw things up, don't you?" William smiled.

I chuckled slightly and nodded, "I guess so." Will chuckled and Samuel draped a necklace with a cross charm around my neck, "I found this in your room. Your mother must have given it to you." I smile slightly and looked at the pendant closely. I turned it around and on the back, three small words were engraved almost perfectly into the wood.

My dearest, Samuel

A small grim crept along my face and a strange joy for overwhelmed me. Maybe my conspiracy theory wasn't too far from the truth.

~Later on~

The three of us were walking down the street slowly making our way to Mr Hamilton's home. Of course, being one week away from my potential demise I wasn't one to be calm. Will noticed this though and handed me a small sweet, "Have this it calms my nerves." He smiled, I nodded and grabbed the sugary treat.

I smiled softly and Will laughed, "You act as you've never had candy before." I smiled slightly and sighed, "My father never let us eat anything bad for us, he was always so protective over our health." I explained. Will smiled slightly and Samuel sighed, "Still the same George I knew." He remarked. I turned to him slightly and looked at him. Samuel pointed ahead and smiled. "Well, we're here." I turned my head and saw the decently large house. Samuel walked up to the door and a woman with dark hair opened the door.

"Good morning Mr Seabury, do you need my husband?" She smiled. Samuel smiled back and replied, "Yes Mrs Hamilton, if he isn't busy of course." Mrs Hamilton smiled and turned around. "Alexander! Mr Seabury wants to talk to you." She called out and a voice replied back, "Ok honey I'm coming down now!" Mr Hamilton replied and Mrs Hamilton smiled turning back to us.

The sound of footsteps echoed around and the figure of Mr Hamilton became more apparent. I smiled slightly and he walked up to the door smiling at me. "What's wrong Samuel?" Mr Hamilton questioned turning his head towards him. Samuel sighed and pulled out a pistol laying it out on his hands.

"We're going to need your help."