Chapter 41 ~ Simply An Afterthought

17th of July 1795

~Frederick's pov~

"Good Morning!" I felt two hands place themselves on my shoulders and I turned to see Johanna smiling. "Oh- hi." I flinched back slightly.

Johanna giggled and sat next to me. "So what is planned for today?" She questioned. I looked at her and smiled taking the piece of paper that my father gave to me. I quickly scanned through it and stared at the piece of paper blanky. "Babysit my brother-" Johanna looked at me slightly confused and I sighed.

I looked at the rest of the writing to see an explanation.

Dear Frederick

Since you are to give me grandchildren, I would like to take this opportunity to practice looking after kids. You have to make sure that you can be a good father who can support his kids regardless of being a King.

(Also I know what you're thinking, I do not have daddy issues.)

I sighed slightly and I stood up looking towards the palace. "Well, the Johanna looks like we'll have to go look after my brother," I explained. Johanna looked ar me slightly confused but nodded and followed me towards the palace.

Up ahead Charles was waiting with his duck, patting it slightly while staring at us from afar. I sighed again and we closer to Charles. He waved excitedly and he smiled brightly.

"Dad says that you'll be looking after me for an hour." He explained. I turned my head slightly to the side and he grabbed my hand. "We're going to dads library first to steal some books." He explained. I looked at him and slowly backed away.

"Stealing?" I glanced at him fearfully. Charles nodded and grabbed Johanna's hand. "Let's go!" He cried out smiling and I felt my whole body being dragged. I looked to my right and saw Johanna, equally as confused. I smiled slightly and we walked towards my father's library.

"Da da da dat da dat da da da da ya da." Charles softly hummed to himself as he looked around almost obliviously as he skipped and hopped through the halls. I felt slightly inclined to tell him to slow down, but seeing him be so innocent and happy was something that made me smile.

Someone who's life was honestly horrible, because of sickness and many other factors he couldn't help was so joyful. Enjoying life without the anxiety of everything that could go wrong. Charles suddenly stopped at the door and looked at me with a grin on his face. "Come on guys." He chuckled. I smiled slightly and we walked inside as he opened the door.

The room was filled with walls of books, all neatly categorised in an aesthetic way. I smiled slightly and let my eyes scan around the room. Everything was so undeniably comfortable. Something about the memories of cuddling together with my family on cold winter days while listening to my father read made me feel equally warm inside. I looked next to me and saw that Johanna was equally enamoured. I smiled again and felt someone tap on my arm.

I looked down and saw Charles smiling. "These are the books we have to get." he explained and handed me a piece of paper. I sighed slightly and he smiled walking towards one of the shelves. I looked around and started to walk towards a shelf when suddenly the door burst opened.

My head turned and I looked to see June glaring at me slightly. "Frederick we need to talk." She firmly spoke. I looked at her slightly fazed and walked towards her. "What do you mean?" I questioned. June sighed and she looked at Johanna slightly gesturing towards her. I nodded and felt Charles fold his arms. "Frederick." he pouted.

I sighed slightly and smiled. "Charles I need to talk to June ok, Johanna will stay with you." I smiled awkwardly. Charles nodded stubbornly and both June and I walked towards the door. I quickly walked under the doorway and pushed the door behind me. I sighed slightly and saw Charles staring at me.

"You'll be back Freddy."

~At the old study of Y/N~

"So, I guess you know why you're here."

"June, I-" June cut me off and sighed. "It's okay you don't need to explain. I just need you to understand something." She spoke softly. I looked at her and she sighed sitting down on the chair near the old worn desk.

I looked down and she sighed. "I wish we could be together you know. I really do love you, Frederick." She smiled slightly. I smiled back awkwardly and sat down on the small couch across the room.

"I love you too June, and I wish we could be together. It's just that my father really doesn't want me marrying a person like you." I explained nervously. "A person like me? What do you mean?" She glared at me. I felt my face go pale and smiled slightly. "I mean that you're a commoner. My father doesn't want me marrying you because of that." I replied awkwardly.

June's expression became evidently worse and she looked at me slightly confused. "But wasn't your mother a commoner?" She questioned. I looked at her and sighed, "I guess, but my father refuses to bless our marriage because he says that he doesn't want me to feel the pain of having a commoner wife." I explained.

June sighed and she stood up walking towards me. "Frederick, I know this sounds honestly reckless but maybe we can run away together." She smiled. I looked at her going even paler and stood up. "Running away? June you know I can't do that-" June cut me off and she looked at me almost pitifully.

"Frederick I love you so much. Please come on. Your brother can be King anyway." She held onto my jacket. "June you know I can't do that, my brother is too weak to be King and besides I can't just run away from my responsibilities." I urged her. June looked at me, her green eyes full of hurt and let go of my jacket.

"Very well then. If being King is more important than me I guess I'll go." she sighed. I looked at her and she walked out. "June! Wait!" I called out towards her. June didn't stop and instead shut the study door behind her. I felt my heart drop and I sighed again looking at the ground.

I couldn't just run away. Even if I wanted to.