Chapter 42 ~ Weak To My Knees And Mind

31st of July 1795

~Charles's pov~

Staring at my legs in front of me I sighed. Mr Gray, the doctor in charge of looking after me was doing another report on my health and he needed me for his research. See my illness was unknown, the only thing we did know that it was evident in my father's side of the family.

Paler skin, weaker bones, a weakness to common illnesses and coughing up blood. This was all the things that made me different and also made me the centre of research. Doctors and blooming medical geniuses all visiting me for the sole reason of my illness.

Mr Gray was one of these people and probably the last in a while. Tomorrow was Frederick and Johanna's wedding, so my time would be limited in the next few days. I was excited for Freddy but I didn't really know if he loved Johanna as much as he loved June.

I didn't really know much about love and marriage but being forced to marry someone you hardly know sounds bad. I mean mum and dad love each other a lot but does Freddy love Johanna? She is really nice though, she has a very sweet personality and I'm sure she'll be a great wife.

"Your Highness." My head turned and Mr Gray smiled handing me a small piece of paper. I looked at it and he smiled. "I need you to read this out loud for me." He explained. I nodded and started reading.

"There once was a fox who lived in a small village. The fox was very cunning, he had plenty of plans and a mind full of wit." I stopped and looked up at Mr Gray. "Perfect, Your Highness." he smiled and I grinned back. "Ok, now I just need you to walk along this path of floorboards." He pointed towards the ground. I nodded once more and swung myself out of bed.

I placed my feet upon the ground and Mr Gray smiled pointing out the slender pathway. I breathed in slightly and started to walk along the path, foot by foot. I felt my legs shiver slightly and my waist pull towards different areas each time as I carefully inched around. "Good job Your Highness." Mr Gray smiled. I smiled back and started going faster. Making my way across the room.

I looked around smiling slightly and felt myself feel free. My balance was always off but now I felt myself go faster. Soon I started to feel my knees weaken again and I held out my hands. "Mr Gray," I called out frantically and felt his arm quickly stop me from falling face flat. I felt my heart drop slightly in pure anxiety and Mr Gray sighed.

"Sit down Your Highness." he smiled slightly and I felt the colour drain from my already pale face. "Now then Your Highness, I best be off. Thank you for letting me come here." He greeted me. I nodded slightly and he picked up his pile of notes and walked out of the room.

I watched him close the door behind him and sighed once more, leaning back against my bed.

~Frederick's pov~

Tomorrow was the 'oh so great' big day. The day I get married. Before today everything seemed so distant, like something I didn't have to to worry about. But now at dinner with my family and Johanna, the anxiety of the day was much more clear. The only thing that was slightly better was that Matilda and Henrich were joining us for dinner.

Right now, of course, we had started, the four of us all sitting around a table. Luckily my father had almost recovered from his injuries, now all he needed to move was a stick to support him and my mother to make sure he doesn't tumble down some stairs again. Of course, he could also talk now, but he rarely did, instead, he let my mother do the talking while he sat down looking at his plate.

In fact today he looked more nervous than usual, his face scared and his whole demeanour was off. Not to mention the small bruises along with his hand and face. But despite this everything was quite normal. Charles was gis usual oblivious and innocent self and Johanna was talking with my mother about marriage and all that 'wonderful stuff'. It was normal and yet something about the aura felt so off. I stared down at my plate and felt my stomach churn.

I was so anxious for tomorrow that I couldn't bear to eat, the only thing keeping me from vomiting at the present moment was the fact I was sitting right next to my soon to be wife. So I just held in my urge to yeet away from the table.

"Princess Matilda and Prince Henrich have arrived." My head turned and I looked to see the doors opened and the distant figure of Matilda and Henrich in the distance. A small smile formed on my face and I shot up running towards Matilda. Matilda quickly looked ahead at me and she put her hands out to block me from hugging her. "Freddy please be careful." She chuckled nervously. I looked at Matilda slightly confused and  Henrich moved towards her touching her stomach slightly. I looked down and noticed that it was bigger than usual.

"Don't tell me your-" Matilda nodded and I looked at Henrich slightly disturbed. "I don't want to be a freaking uncle," I mumbled slightly. Matilda chuckled slightly and I felt my mothers hands place on my shoulder. "Matilda your here, want me to take you to your seat so we start eating the cake?" She smiled. Matilda nodded and both her and Henrich made their way towards their seats.

I felt my stomach churn slightly again and I walked back to my seat. A small yet elegant cake was placed in the middle and I smiled slightly looking across at my father. I directed my grin closer towards him and saw him mouth a few words.

Help me, your mother is trying to k-

My mother wrapped her arms tightly around my father to hug him and he stopped. I looked at him oddly and Matilda looked at my mother smiling slightly, "Mother do we have any candles?" "She questioned. My mother let go her grip on my father and she smiled, "I'm not sure where I can find them darling." she responded. My father coughed slightly and looked at Matilda. "There are some in the cupboard near the lower level corridor."

Matilda smiled and she stood up. "I'll go get them then." She explained struggling to stand. I looked around the room and shot up quickly. "Its okay Matilda I'll get them, you can stay here instead," I replied. Matilda smiled and she sat back down. "Well then Frederick, thank you." I nodded and started walking out.

I quickly glanced back before I exited the room and saw my father looking at me as if he was fearing for his life. I furrowed my brow slightly and turned my head back, and walked towards the lower level corridor.

Step by step I soon reached the corridor and wandered around. Searching around and around 10 could only find two rooms. I quickly moved towards the small cupboard like door and opened it to find nothing inside. This felt quite idd and a feeling of ominous tension built up. I quickly shut the door and walked towards the other door.

I opened the small worn golden handle and pushed the door open. My eyes looked around the small musty room and I stepped inside. Ropes and bottles were scattered everywhere. Along with a small phone book in the corner. My eyes scanned around scarcely and I felt something unsettling in my stomach. I roamed around the room in search of the candles and instead found more suspicious objects.

More ropes, half-filled in journals, loose bandages, old pieces of clothing and in the corner a closet in the corner. I breathed in slightly scanning around and walked towards the closet. I opened up the half screwed on door and looked around. Dust and cobwebs filled the entirety of closet, it was just as I expected. I sighed slightly gesturing to move when suddenly the sound of footsteps walking towards the room echoed in my ear. I felt slightly distraught and quickly shuffled into the closet.

Something definitely wasn't right. I quickly shut the closet door in front of me and felt my heart thump as the footsteps were soon accompanied by voices.

I felt my knees become even weaker and I leaned in closer to listen. Soon the voices ceased and the door slammed. My eyes fluttered slightly and the sound of someone backing onto a wall shot up in my ears.

"I saw what you did, you fucking idiot!"