Chapter 15 ~ Delicate Melody

6th of April 1795

~William's pov~

The sound of soft ballroom cheer and music fluttered through the hall. Candle deck around and lit the ornate walls with an orange glow. I stood at the front door, With Hanna by my right and Frederick tagging behind. Hanna was dressed in a simple yet elegant dress that suited my simple attire as well. Of course, we were overshadowed by most at the event but there was no point in looking like a psychotic peacock.

"Ready Will." Hanna nudged my shoulder. I felt my cheers tingle slightly and I nodded walking towards Felix. "Guys you came!" Felix smiled auburn hair for once neatly done. I smiled and walked up to him with Hanna. I looked next to Felix and saw Anne hugging his arm possessively. "Who are they?" Anne glared at me.

Felix chuckled, "Anne Culpepper, meet William Seabury and Hanna Steiner." He smiled gesturing his hand towards us. Anne glared at me with a slight distain, she pulled Felix's arm and he turned around waving awkwardly back at us. He mouthed an apology as Anne dragged him towards her friends. I chuckled awkwardly and looked to Hanna. "Well, she seemed nice." Hanna sarcastically stated. I smiled and felt someone brush past my shoulder. I turned my and saw a group of girls running towards Frederick.

Frederick was fazed, his eyes were awkward as the onslaught of single women ran up to him. I quickly rushed towards them and Frederick's gaze fixated on me. I looked around and saw the jealous burning stares of the men at the party cast upon Frederick. I nodded and sigh. "Everyone! Prince Frederick would like you all to know that he is taken and he doesn't want to dance with any of you!"

I called out and the girls looked at Frederick. "Is he telling the truth?" One of the girls spoke up. Frederick nodded profusely and the girls sighed walking away. I walked towards Frederick smirking and he looked at me tiredly. "Thanks." I chuckled slightly and I felt Hanna pull on my arm. I looked at her and she smiled. "Everyone's starting to dance you want to go?" She smiled. I nodded but turned to Frederick quickly. "You sure you'll be ok by yourself?" I glanced at him. Frederick nodded and smiled, "Don't worry, being lonely runs in the family." He chuckled. I smiled and grabbed Hanna's arm softly.

We walked to the centre of the hall and began dancing along. I stumbled slightly at first but as Hanna showed me the way it became easier. I soon began to enjoy it and the dance progressed. We soon started switching partners. I tried to keep calm every time we switched and even if I didn't everyone seemed kind not to judge. I smiled, giggled and awkwardly made my way across the dance floor looking back to see were Frederick was every few seconds.

I looked and saw him drinking a glass of wine. I glanced over at him oddly, he wasn't one to drink. I sighed slightly and yawned. Turning to my next partner.

Let's hope Frederick can hold his alcohol.

~Later on~

It had been about two hours of altering from dancing to eating to now. Hanna and I were both starting to feel tired and sore from dancing and so we decided to opt-out. Hanna sighed and she leaned against one of the couches smiling. "I'm dead." she sighed. I chuckled and looked around, "Have you seen Frederick?" I questioned yawing. Hanna shook her head and I scanned around.

The room was less crowded than before but it was still hard to find him. I scoffed slightly and leaned back. He was eighteen, he didn't need me to supervise him. I folded my arms and leaned back against the couch.

"Will." Hanna tapped my shoulder and I opened my eyes irritated. "What?" I groaned. "Might want to get Frederick, last time I checked he said he didn't want to dance," she spoke. I sat up completely and looked at her shocked. I turned my head and saw Frederick excitedly dancing. At first, he seemed like his usual self but as I observed his behaviour, I realised that the wine he was scolding from earlier had gotten to his head.

I watched him closely as he danced around with some of the girls. His attitude and overall demeanour was more flirtatious than usual. I sighed slightly and stood up walking towards the group.

The group was in a circle all rotating around clockwise around a pair. I looked and saw Frederick wide-eyed and smiling at me as he leaned towards the girl he was dancing with. I shook my head and his smile winded. I waved my hands again and he kissed the girl. I froze and the girl flinched away. Everyone in the circle froze and the familiar red hair of Oscar appeared. Oscar glared at Frederick and Frederick smirked.

"What's wrong gingy~" he folded his arms. I looked at him nervously and the girl Frederick kissed latched onto Oscar's arm. "What's wrong your Highness is that you kissed my girlfriend." He furiously glared. Frederick giggled snobbishly and hiccuped. "I don't give a shit! I'm the bloody heir to the throne of Great Britain, I do what I want when I want." he chuckled drunkenly. Oscar scoffed and walked towards Frederick. "Is that so?" O walked closer and glared at Frederick. "Frederick don't." I urged him. Frederick smirked he hiccuped again folding his arms.

"Yep." he replied. Oscar took out his hand, "Very well then, if you want it like that meet me at the school grounds at dawn next week? Bring dipstick over there as well if he's not too chicken." Frederick smiled and took out his hand as well. "Very well then Mr Gingy." He smiled, shaking Oscar's hand drunkenly.

The colour from my face drained and Frederick smiled turning to me. "What's wrong ma dude?" He smiled leaning against my shoulder. I looked behind me and Hanna had the same facial expression as me. Frederick looked at me oddly and I looked at him, shaking.

"You just agreed to a duel."