Chapter 17 ~ A Way Of Withdrawal

13th of April 1795

~William's pov~

"So then, everyone understand?" Mr Hamilton folded his arms. I nodded along with Frederick and Mr Hamilton smiled. "Very well then, we better get to the duel." I smiled nervously and we began walking out.

Frederick wasn't dressed in his usual attire today, instead of the bright red and gold he was used to. He wore a plain black suit and a short cape that floated just below his chest. His expression too was different, rather than awkward, he had one of determination.

"You okay?" I smiled slightly. Frederick nodded silently and we continued down the pathway. Frederick fiddled with the pistol in his hands, weighing it with his hands and pointing it towards the ground. I diverted my eyes slightly and Mr Hamilton stopped a few metres away from the school grounds. "Very well, you two know what to do. I'll see you soon." Mr Hamilton smiled. I smiled back and we began to walk up the stairs.

It was still pretty dark, the sun was only starting to appear and the cold wind of night flowed around. Frederick's wavy hair blew in the wind, but he was unphased. I warmed my breath slightly and pulled my coat tighter. We got to the top of the stairs and were near the entrance to the school field.

Standing in the distance was a pair and a man off to the side. The figure of Oscar could be seen, his fiery red hair being slightly suspended in the air. I looked at Frederick and he nodded, we began walking towards the field. My boots were starting to sink into the soggy turf as we trudged towards Oscar.

I saw Frederick's grip on his pistol tighten and Oscar's eyes locked out onto us. A small yet sinister grin crept up his face and he chuckled, "Looks like you decided to show up. Well then let's get this shit over and done with." Frederick nodded and he stood opposite Oscar. I nervously turned my head and saw the doctor facing his head away from the duel. My expression became more deeply concerned and I walked to the middle meeting Oscar's second.

"Good morning." The boy smiled. I smiled back awkwardly and shook his hand. "Just so you know, Oscar isn't going for any negotiations so I'm afraid this duel will have to commence." The boy spoke almost sickeningly sweet.

I nodded and sighed, "I had a feeling you'd say that." I mumbled. The boy smiled even brighter and we both moved away from the middle.

"Very well the duel shall commence." The boy declared. Frederick clenched his eyes tightly and he walked towards the middle. He and Oscar went back to back facing each end and f the field. They were still, almost frozen as Oscar's second gave the instructions.

"I shall count to ten and each time you take a step. When I call out ten you must turn around and face your pistol towards your opponent." He explained. Frederick and Oscar nodded and The boy smiled stepping back next to me.

"One!"

Frederick took his first step steadily but with hesitation.

"Two!"

Another small grin formed on Oscar's face, but with more furious intent.

"Three!"

Frederick's eyes were full of more fear than I had ever seen, he was scared.

"Four!"

I took a deep breath, only six more seconds to go.

"Five!"

The doctor let out a small yet intentional cough. He knew too well that blood was about to be shed.

"Six!"

The sun began to become more apparent, if we did this properly this wouldn't be Frederick's last sunset.

"Seven!"

Oscar's hair folded back down as the wind had almost ceased. The once howling sound of the wind was now a deathly silence.

"Eight."

Time began to slow down, but my heart didn't. It was very close, almost frighteningly.

"Nine."

Frederick stayed still and smiled.

"Mr Hamilton!" he called out causing everyone to pause. Mr Hamilton appeared from the far end of the field and smiled. "Now boys what is this?" He chuckled.

Frederick grinned slightly but Oscar's face was filled with confusion and fury. "What the hell are you doing here? This is none of your business!" he gritted his teeth. Mr Hamilton sighed and smiled, "I think it is." He grabbed Frederick's pistol and tossed it away.

"See, Mr Thames, you were about to kill the Prince of Wales. And as you may know the heir to the British throne. Now imagine what the King would do to you and your family if he found out that you killed his firstborn son?" he interrogated him. Oscar bowed his head slightly, "You're really defending him Mr Hamilton?" he scoffed and pointed his pistol towards Frederick's head.

His grin became wide, a concoction of insanity. My eyes widened and I felt myself leaping forward. But before the pistol trigger could be pulled My father tackled Oscar to the ground.  "Not on my watch."

He grunted slightly and Frederick skittered away. Mr Hamilton's expression was one fo fury, he quickly rushed toward Samuel and Oscar. Samuel pried Oscar's pistol away tossing it away. I turned my head and saw Oscar's second fleeing away. I furrowed my brow slightly and Mr Hamilton picked up Oscar holding his hands behind his back. Oscar kept yelling out profanities and Frederick flinched slightly. I walked towards him and we both took a deep breath standing near my father.

"Very well then, I'll be taking Mr Thames here home. Now ,remember to stay safe for me okay." Mr Hamilton explained. Frederick and Mr Hamilton began to walk off.

My father chuckled and I smiled awkwardly. "Let's get back home." My father nodded and we began walking back home. Frederick was in front of us silent, he was walking faster than usual.

We walked along the usual pathway towards my house. I smiled slightly and my dad nodded proudly at me. I smiled and looked ahead seeing our house up ahead. But something was off. I looked closer and saw the colour of bright red plagued around.

I felt a pale hand wrap around my mouth and arm pull me into the surroundings. I tried to reach my hand out towards Frederick but the force pulling me away was too strong.

What the hell was happening?