Chapter 21 ~ Cope With It

3rd of June 1795

~William's pov~

"Will!" My mother's voice called out cheerfully. I smiled and put down the spoon I was using to mix the cake batter. I rushed downstairs and saw my mother dressed in a beautiful pale blue dress.

"Does it look nice?" she asked. I scanned over the dress and smiled, "It's wonderful mom." my mother smiled and she sighed putting her hand under her chin, "I was worried this dress would be too extravagant for the party." She explained. I smiled and hugged her. "It's your birthday mom, you can look as great as you want."

My mother smiled and I let go of her. I looked around slightly and sighed, "You okay, Will?" My mother questioned. I smiled slightly and leaned against the wall, "It's just that Frederick would have been leaving today." I replied. My mother smiled and put her arm around my shoulder. "You'll be fine, besides at least you can still write him." She comforted me.

I smiled softly and we started walking back up to the kitchen. "Mom, were you close to Frederick's mother?" I glanced around. My mother stopped, her eyes becoming dull with melancholic guilt. "You could say that, but I like to think of her as my sister." she looked down slightly. "Sister?" I fixed my head slightly.

My mother grinned and sat down on the stairs. "We were always close as children and when we were given the task of spying we became even closer." She reminisced. I smiled slightly and sat down next to her. "I wish I could've helped her. I remember when we found out she was pregnant with Frederick. I wanted to feel happy but there was nothing happy about it."

I looked at my mother and her eyes drifted slightly, "You probably know this by now with all your detective stuff, but Y/N and George's relationship has always been one-sided. I know everyone is saying that she loves him now but that's not the Y/N I know. He would've had to do things, things that I don't want to think about to get Y/N to be so submissive." My mother gloomily remarked. I looked at her sympathetically and patted her shoulder.

I had never met Y/N in my life and even so, I felt sorry for her. Everyone in the world thought that she was a happy woman who loved her husband so much. But really she was just broken from whatever the King had put her through. I wanted to help her, but I knew I couldn't. All I could do was pray George would die. He was Frederick's father but I don't think he had much affection for his father anyway.

My mother looked at me slightly and stood up. "We probably should go back to preparing for the party." I nodded and stood up heading back to the kitchen. I sighed slightly and walked towards the kitchen.

I walked inside and saw my sister folding her arms and sitting on one of the chairs. "Is the cake done yet?" She glared at me. I looked at her and sighed walking to the bowl. "Almost."

~Later that day~

Everyone was sat around a table. There was my mother, my father, my sister, Oliver, Ben, Mr and Mrs Hamilton, Mr L/N, Mr and Mrs Clarke, Hanna, Felix and Kayla.

The small hall that we were were all in was lit up by warm orange candles. It was warm and happy, everyone had smiles on their faces and plates full of food. I smiled slightly and began eating the food. It was a simple roast and vegetables along with your usual birthday food. There were also desserts provided by Charlotte and a suspicious-looking salmon brought in by Mr L/N.

Everything was normal, I had my close friends and family. But I felt something in my heart way me down. It wasn't dissatisfaction, it was guilt. Because I knew full and well that Frederick was somewhere across the sea. Whether he was already with his family or still on a ship, I felt guilty.

Guilty that he was alone and miserable while I was enjoying my life. I stared down at my plate and sighed. I held my fork lazily and gloomily looked down at my plate. There was nothing I could do though, even if I tried I'd make an enemy of the King. And by most peoples account he doesn't sound like the best person to be hated by.

"Will are you okay?" I lifted my head up and looked at Felix and Hanna. I smiled awkwardly and sighed. "I guess," I replied. Hanna smiled and passed me a plate with a small cake. "Here eat this it'll make you feel better." She smiled. I smiled back and took the plate taking a bite of the cake. My eyes lit up and Hanna giggled. I smiled softly and looked at Felix who was clenching his stomach. "You okay?" I glanced at him. Felix smiled slightly and bowed his head. "I probably shouldn't have eaten Mr Alfred's suspicious salmon." he groaned.

I chuckled slightly and the sound of glass echoing was heard. I turned my head to my right and saw my father smiling. "I would like to make a toast." He smiled. Everyone became quiet and lifted their glasses. "I would like to thank all of you for coming to this celebration of my darling wife, Ella's birthday. I have known her for almost 20 years and let me tell you they have been the greatest. So please raise your glass in honour of her." He acclaimed. Everyone raised their glasses in an almost manner.

My father sat back down and the chatter arose again. I smiled slightly and turned my head towards the window. I looked outside and saw something odd. It was the same figures I had seen the day Frederick had left. My head moved slightly and I stood up. "Frederick were are you going?" My father smiled. I looked at him and grinned back slightly, "Just need to check something outside." I replied. My father nodded and I began walking out fo the house. I slid on my coat and shoes and walked to the gate where the people were standing.

I looked at them both and their gazes fixated on me. I glared at them and walked towards them. "Who are you and why are you here?" I interrogated the pair. The older man who looked like Frederick leaned against the fence holding a small box. "We just got lost, we were in need of some directions." He spoke. I looked at him oddly noticed a very distinct accent, I glared at him and approached him. "Very well then where are you headed?" I questioned him. He grinned and leaned closer to me, "We just need to get back to the main city." He explained.

I nodded and pointed up the road. "If you follow that path you'll get there in about six minutes," I replied. The man smiled and ruffled the younger boys hair. "Very well then thank you, I best be going." He smiled. He turned around and I looked at him. "W-wait." I stuttered slightly and the man stopped. "What's wrong?" He smiled. I pointed to the box. "What's that?"  I questioned.

The man smiled, his hazel eyes were looking at me as if peering into my soul. "A present for my brother, it's his birthday tomorrow." He smiled. I nodded and he laughed, "Anyway nice meeting you.." he looked at me and I awkwardly smiled, "William Seabury ." I replied. The man smiled and put out his hand, "Well Mr Seabury nice to meet you I'm Edward." he replied. I shook his hand hesitantly and he smiled walking away. "I hope we can meet again." he cheerfully smiled. I smiled back awkwardly and waved away.

Still wondering why this 'Edward' person looked so similar to Frederick.