2 | noah

"Ow!"

"Ow!"

With the phone against my ear and my aunt's voice talking in my ear, I turned my head and tilted my head slightly upwards to see what happened.

A girl was sitting on the floor, she was wearing wide legged black jeans, a fluffy, drop shoulder, dark green jacket, and white sneakers. She had her afro tied up in a puffy bun, her baby hairs smoothed as edges. She had smooth, flawless brown skin and wore gold, metal-framed glasses and gold, minimalist hoop earrings. Her glossy lips stretched into a wide smile as raised her hand up and waved at me.

Should I do something?

"Noah? Noah? Are you there? Noah Jackson?"

"Yeah, yeah, I'm listening," I replied looking away from the girl and pushing the cart into another aisle.

"Don't you 'yeah, yeah' me, I'm not your friend," my aunt, Lynette, told me.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to," I apologised sincerely. "What were you saying, ma?" Even though she wasn't my mother, I still called her that. She raised me as one most of my life. Nothing was wrong with my biological mother, in fact, she was happy and healthy, living in the UK along with my other siblings.

"I was saying if you get lost, ask anyone for directions. Someone who looks trustworthy."

I furrowed my brows, looking at the grocery list. "How does one look trustworthy?" I pushed the shopping cart again, looking at the rows of

"You're right, umm," she thought a bit. "Just call me if you get lost. Matter fact, boy, send me your current location so I can track your every-"

I chuckled lightly, "Ma, it's fine. I promise." I looked up at the shelf and reached my hand to fetch my aunt's favourite cereal. I placed it in the shopping cart and pushed the cart again to look for peanut butter.

"Did you take your pills today?" she asked.

"Yes, I did."

"Mm, they seem to be working. You're more calmer than me."

Not at all.

"I'll be back from work late today so you might see me tomorrow. You get ready for school and everything."

"Yes, ma." I neatly put in the peanut butter inside the full cart of the groceries I had to get, mostly veggies and fruit.

"Okay, my baby. Aunt loves you a lot," Lynette said in a high-pitched voice and exaggerated expression.

I scowled, taking the phone off my ear and looking at it, then putting back on my ear. Aunt and I laughed. "I'm concerned."

"Whatever boy, call me again when you about to go to sleep," she chuckled. "I love you."

"I love you too," I smiled.

"Alright," she chuckled. "Bye."

I switched off my phone and finished the last off of the groceries and went up to the till to pay.