40 | move on

"Jackie, open this door! You need to eat!" I heard my brother, John, shout from the other side of the door

"Jackie, open this door! You need to eat!" I heard my brother, John, shout from the other side of the door. "Oh my God, are you kidding me? She's not going open up for me."

"John, go the fuck away. I'm not hungry," I cried.

"Not hungry?" he echoed. "You haven't eaten for three days! Like it or not, you're eating this pie I baked for you! And you know I don't like baking now please open up before Kira smacks me into another nationality for kicking this door down!"

I groaned, getting up and taking hesitant steps to the door. I opened it and there John was, standing with Stacey, and her hands held a pie that smelled so delicious.

But I didn't have the appetite.

"I ate yesterday," I spoke boredly, my voice cracking because I hadn't said in a word in hours.

"Exactly. It's almost 9 pm," John said. "Can you stop acting like a damn child and eat this pie? Or eat something. Please."

I took the pie from Stacey and stared at them. "Are you happy now?"

John shook his head and they walked into my room and I groaned, throwing my head back. I shut the door and leaned against it, looking at the steaming pie in front of me.

Oh wait... maybe I am hungry.

He had made me one of my favourites from him. Steak pie. I licked my lips then shifted my gaze to Stacey and John who were watching me like I had just crawled out of the woods.

"Jackie, you're starving yourself... over some guy?" John began.

"It's not over some guy--"

"Stacey told me that Noah called you to the hospital and he told you that he had brain cancer--"

"Don't even say it," I interrupted, holding up my hand to stop him. "Please don't."

"But you have to accept it. Noah has cancer, deal with it. Stop ruining yourself over it," John said while I walked passed him and sat down on the bed. "You're even skipping school and surprisingly even Amaira and Isabelle got worried and asked me where you were because they know you wouldn't just skip school unless something was really wrong... much even skip the damn game."

I sighed, rubbing my temples and shutting my eyes.

"You're doing the exact thing that Noah was afraid of," John stated softly. "The reason why he probably didn't want to tell you that he had what he had was because he loved you so much that he didn't want to see you or want you to even go through something like this."