31 | detention

"Hey, John?" I said into the phone as Noah and I exited our last class

"Yes?" he replied impatiently.

"Where are you?"

"Ezra broke someone's ribcage while fighting so I'm at the hospital right now," he replied.

"Oh... okay... I'll be arriving a little late," I told him. "I have detention."

John laughed bitterly, "Okay what's the real reason? You going over to Noah's again?"

I forced out a fake laugh then deadpanned. "Does it look--" I paused. "Does it sound like I'm joking to you?"

There was silence. "Yes."

I kissed my teeth, "Why does everything have to be such an obstacle with you?"

John gasped. "You have detention?"

"Yes--"

"What did you? Steal book? Or worse, didn't do your homework?" John guessed then I heard laughter at the background from where he was.

I kissed my teeth again. "I'll explain when I get back, for now I have to go. Bye."

John hung up and I put my phone back in my pocket. Noah hooked his arm with mine while we walked, grasping it tightly and I smiled although I found it a bit odd.

"Can I punch you?" I asked out of the blue.

"Why?" Noah looked at me suspiciously.

"Just 'cause." I shrugged.

There was no way in hell I was forgetting the incident that had happened earlier that day. Getting punched by Dean, the guys that spent most of their time in the gym, but not even crying or even reacting to it?

Noah sighed. "Is this about this morning?"

"Nope," I lied then kept quiet.

He looked away and I lightly touched touched his cheek, seeing if he would react.

He did thankfully and but he gave me an odd look.

I had to found out what was going on with him anyway.

We entered the Principal's Hayes detention class and I immediately spotted Amaira, Isabelle, Dean and Damon sitting at the far end of the class. Their looks turned cold the second they saw us. Dean glared at Noah, still obviously fed up about the fight.

"Sit here in front!" Principal Hayes ordered me. I quickly did so and Noah sat beside me. "No, you Mr. Jackson, sit there." He pointed to the opposite direction.

Noah looked at me before sitting where he was told. We shared a look.

"Now, I want you all to write an 5000 word essay stating why you came to this school, why you love this school, it's values, and about respect. If you're not finished in three hours, you're sitting tomorrow too," Principal Hayes ordered, handing out a stack of paper to each of us and a pen. "No talking, no phones obviously, no communicating. If I see you, ten minutes added to your stay here." He stood at his desk. "Understood?"