24 | accidental kiss

"Trust me, once my brother starts liking you, he'll never let you go," she murmured

"Trust me, once my brother starts liking you, he'll never let you go," she murmured. "It's weird but... eh. He wants you to come to the annual dinner again next year," Jackie said and shut her locker door, clutching her Physics book against her chest.

"I'll be sure to come," I replied. "I was worried your brother would somehow humiliate me or something."

"Expect that from him." Jackie chuckled. "He does that to the people he likes."

"I wonder how he acts to the people he doesn't like," I murmured.

"Well... well... well..." Amaira chimed in, her heels clicking as she walked towards us with Isabelle by her side and two other boys who I occasionally saw sit with Jackie during lunch.

Jackie squealed, "Amaira! I'm sorry so I couldn't--"

Amaira held her hand up and Jackie kept quiet. "Why didn't you come to my birthday party on Saturday?" she snapped, glaring at me then Jackie.

Jackie sighed. "Oh, I'm sorry. My brother had this annual dinner thing that he forced me to go to."

Amaira nodded, not believing a word she was saying. "Or... let me guess... you were out with Noah again?"

"Huh?" Jackie furrowed her brows, confused.

"How dare you miss her birthday? Her 18th birthday?" Isabelle added, stepping in. "Amaira, or we, wanted you there but you didn't show because you were busy with this loser."

That hurt.

What hurt even more was that Jackie didn't say anything to defend me.

"I was with him but not alone. We were having this annual dinner thing with my brother and his friends," Jackie desperately explained.

"She's right," I found myself speaking too.

"No one asked you," one of the boys had said and poked my shoulder hard. I kept quiet and Jackie side glanced at me, saying nothing.

"Ever since you've been hanging out with Noah, we've been drifting away as friends," Isabelle spoke. "You choose this fucking weirdo over us?"

That hurt too.

Jackie still doesn't say anything to defend me.

"Remember?" Isabelle recalled, holding up her necklace that said 'Forever'. "What happened to that huh?"

Jackie was quiet. I think she had realised that she had been hanging out with me all this time. "I'm sorry," she whispered softly and my heart ached, seeing her sad. I reached out my hand to touch her's but she quickly reacted, pulling away.