17 | snowflake & teddy bear

I sent Noah a text

I sent Noah a text.

[Me]: good morning Noah, hope you slept well. can you answer my calls please?

I tried calling him again and he didn't answer it. I kissed my teeth, giving up.

"Is there a reason the house is on fire?" My mother's yell came from upstairs. "Jackie, are you baking again?"

"What? Why are you always blaming me?" I shouted back from the kitchen.

John spat out the muffin he had chewed into the bin. "Because you're the one to blame," he replied, throwing the rest of the muffin in the trash. "I mean, Jackie, you don't belong in the kitchen."

I waved off the smoke building up in the kitchen before coughing.

Ma walked downstairs, wearing a new outfit she had recently bought: black jeans, brown boots and a sweater. She was going out with her friends that day.

"Hi, mom!" I greeted. "You look beautiful."

"Do you have a date or something?" John asked then gulping his water down.

"No," she replied. "Just heading out with the girls. We have a whole spa day planned and we'll be going to the club." She sang the last part and added a little hip dance after that.

John and I looked at eachother before chuckling. Nate walked into the kitchen, shirtless, opening in the fridge. "Why is the fridge empty?"

"Because a certain someone decided to skip their duty to go grocery shopping," My mother said, slowly turning her head towards John.

John looked at me. "She's talking about you."

Ma frowned at us then walked over to me. "And Jackie? Why are you baking? You know you're not allowed to bake."

Nate took one muffin while they were in the muffin pan and blew it, cooling it. He bit into it and I watched his reaction.

He immediately spat it out, "Ugh! This is the worst thing I have ever tasted."

John nodded in agreement. "How is it burnt and raw at the same time?"

I sighed. "There goes my dream of becoming a baker."

"Now what are we going to eat?" Nate whined.

"There's cereal, there's toast, coffee, I can make pancakes," I listed.