Chapter 1: The Email

I had been checking my email every single day, twice a day, since the end of my first year of university. The university announced that the scholarships for study abroad students would be announced a week after finals. Only a certain number of students would be granted the opportunity to study abroad for the entire year, and I wanted to leave America so badly. I wanted to have new experiences since my first year of university was not easy for me at all. 

I am not a perfect student. Learning is not easy for me. I am self conscious about how smart I appear. While most students just need to learn from a lecture and some homework problems, that was not me. I have to spend extra time getting the information in my head. I take notes during class, do the in class work, the homework, and after the "normal" amount of work, I put in my extra time. I can't just make flashcards, I need more help. I take my first set of notes and read through the textbook. After I compare the lecture notes to what I read. Finally I write a new set of notes combining the lecture notes and book notes. If I do not study this way, I just memorize facts and fail exams because I can't analyze and expand on the information. 

To apply for a study abroad opportunity, I needed professor recommendations, and an essay. Two professors were willing to write letters for me and I was in the university writing center every day to have someone help me with my essay. I wanted to make my essay perfect. I thought with my six page essay, I had a good chance. My goal for my study abroad session would be to enroll in an internship program along with some general classes. With the internship I wanted to work with a local zoo so I could get work experience while getting more classes done. I could do this at a different university out of my home state of Michigan, but how often will a university pay all expenses for a trip to England?

The United Kingdom was a good choice because they have some top rated zoos in the world. The fact that some work with nearby universities, is amazing to me. My university is a cheaper one, but it also is more towards individuals who want to be park rangers or work for the DNR. There is a small amount of us who want zoo work and we stick together. We give each other information on zoos, references, and help network. 

It was 8 pm at night. I normally turn my laptop off at 7 but I was hoping for the email. I open my web browser  and type in my login username and password for my university email. I close my eyes as the screen loads. I count...1...2...3...4..5…
My eyes fly open and I have one unread message from the Biology department head. I click on it and my jaw drops. It is THE email. I skim through it and I see just what I wanted. My heart started beating quickly and my face has the definition of excitement on it. 

"Dear Ms.Tiliqua,

We want to thank you for your application for the study a broad opportunity in the United Kingdom. 

I wanted to personally congratulate you on being accepted……." 

I didn't really read the rest that night. I forward the email to my mother and get off my bed to jump up and down a little. 

I calm myself a little and managed to text my longest known friend Vila. 
"Sorry man, I wont be able to hang much next year because I got accepted into the program."

Vila immediately replies. "I'm happy for you man. You will be great. I hope we can still Skype and find the occasional gift in my mailbox." 

I smile. "Of course. You know it."

I turned my laptop off and flop on to my bed. I fall asleep with a grin on my face.

Hopefully I break these chapters up in a good way. I have probably half of the story already written. I just need to edit and break it up into chapters that make sense