Chapter 32: Caution

January turned into February really quickly. Laurent seemed to be leaving me and Sabine alone. Our friend group continued our Friday hangouts. Seán kept showing me off on his public social media accounts and now his followers recognize me with my wig on. Instead of taking pictures with just Seán, they wanted pictures with the both of us. My anxiety was better, but I still didn't eat very much. No one seemed to notice. Food just wasn't good anymore. It makes me sick to my stomach just looking at it or smelling it. 

The virus had picked up speed. Cases have been confirmed in almost every country. Scientists have figured out how to test people for the virus. The problem was, some people showed no symptoms. Some businesses and health centers started doing temperature checks before allowing people to enter. People were encouraged to wear masks out in public but it wasn't required. Most deaths have been in the elderly. 

Laurent apparently had moved out of the dorms. Sabine and I noticed when we saw a new guy moving in. He was short, probably my height. He had a receding hairline but wore a baseball cap most of the time. He introduced himself to us as soon as he saw us. His name was Brad. He was kicked out of his last university for having mental health issues that he doesn't believe he has. Sabine and I were polite and quickly retreated to our room. We were not looking forward to living next to him. 

It was a Thursday night. I was drying my hair when suddenly my phone rang. It was my mother. I answer it. "Hello."

"Hello Nalia!" My mother sounded extremely upbeat tonight. "How are you?"

I cradled my phone between my ear and my shoulder so I could continue drying my hair. "Fine. What's up?"

"I was wondering if you heard anything from the university about virus preparation." 

I roll my eyes. "Mother, the virus is only in Asian countries. I don't think I have to worry about that. So no, I haven't heard anything."

"Nalia." I hear my mother sigh. "People travel and I have been paying attention there are confirmed cases in the United Kingdom. I personally would like to have you return home." 

"That's not going to happen. If I leave now without finishing, we will be billed for the entire trip. I know you don't want that."

"I know. Nalia, other countries are completely shutting down. They are ordering residents to stay home and no one may enter or exit the country. I just worry about you."

"Mother." I take hold of my phone again. "I'll be fine. I have friends here. I'm sure something is being prepared for the worst case scenario."

"Just be careful. Stay safe." 

"I always try." 

Click. My mother always worries too much.