Chapter 4: Lightheaded

Sabine showed me around campus. We both took our schedules and found our rooms and highlighted them on a map. Sabine had two biology classes and one english class. I had a chemistry class and an evolution class. We didn't share any classes but we could meet up for meals. She showed me the best bathrooms to use and how to get across campus. She even showed me how to use the bus. She was excited when I told her I had an internship at the local zoo. She showed me the best routes to use.

We stopped by a local coffee shop to rest. "What do you want? My treat." Sabine pulled out her wallet.

"I'll just take a lemonade." I couldn't find any good drinks on the menu.

Sabine looked at me. "No coffee?"

"Haha, well," I prepared myself. " I don't really like coffee."

Sabine shook her head back and forth. "No wonder you sleep so early."

Sabine paid for our drinks and sat at a booth. I started walking over to the booth with some napkins when my head started to feel weird. I put the napkins on the table but can't sit down. I was standing completely still but it felt as if my head was moving. No, I thought to myself.

"Are you alright?" Sabine looked confused and worried.

I press my eyes shut for a moment. I breath in and out. Lightheaded. My heart rate was increasing. "I have a medical condition. I get light headed sometimes. I'm going to go outside for some air. I'll be right back."

I turned and walked away before I could let Sabine answer. I open the door and stand out front of the shop's windows. I take some deep breaths. Goosebumps started appearing on my arms. I didn't realize how warm I had gotten. I started counting in German. I used this exercise to have my brain focused on another language to distract me from what is happening. I started to feel a little normal.

A few more seconds and I felt well enough to go back to Sabine. I turn to go back in the shop but my head still wasn't in the right space and I felt my weight falling towards the ground.

Before I could feel the cement connect with my hands, I am caught in someone's arms. The arms had dark hair on them with tattoos on the underside. "You alright?"

I look up to see the Irishman who caught me. Even half right in the head I could recognize those blue eyes. I was in the arms of Natalie's boyfriend.

He helps me stand up straight again but our hands were still together. I was too out of it to worry about my sweaty hands. "Hello?" He takes a hand and waves it in front of my face.

I finally snapped back to reality. I bring a hand to my head. "Yeah," I rub my head. "I just got a little lightheaded."

"Do you need me to take you somewhere?" I didn't think this man was loud at all, but it could be because he just caught me almost fainting.

"No, that's ok." I bring my hand back down to where our other hands where together. "I'll go back in the coffee shop. I have a friend in there."

"Sabine?" He let out a huge breath. "Good I thought this would've made my trip longer. I think you need to go back to campus and get some water."

I look at him trying not to be obvious about staring at him. "I want to thank you for catching me. I'm not usually this bad."

"Your welcome....um..." he fumbled over his words looking for a name.

"Nalia."

"Your welcome Nalia." He put a hand on his chest. "I'm Seán, but people call me Jack."

"Hi..." I tried to make it look like I was looking over his shoulder. I had to look up at him. He had to be Sabine's height. I'm used to looking up at others since I was short.

We just stood with our hands together for a moment. I continued my deep breathing. I really couldn't tell what Jack was thinking. Maybe he was waiting for me to leave, but his hands were cooler than mine and it felt nice at the moment.

Jack broke our silence. "I've gotta go order my coffee or Natalie will get mad I took so long." He took his hands back and opened the door to the coffee shop.

"I should be getting back to Sabine." I walk in the door.

Jack went to the register to order and I walked back to the table where Sabine was sitting with our drinks. She was a third of the way done with coffee already.

"Are you ok?" Sabine passed me my lemonade as I sit down.

"Yeah." I take a long sip out of my straw.

"Let's get you back to campus. Then you can spill on what just happened." Sabine got up.

I sighed and got up. We headed towards the door, but out of the corner of my eye I saw Jack's eyes following us until we made it out the door.