Chapter 37: The Hospital

I woke up before Seán, just like I had hoped. I gather the last of my things very quietly and stuff them in my backpack. I put my things at the door. I walk back into the bedroom and give one last look at Seán. I loved watching him sleep. He was peaceful asleep. 

I kiss his cheek and quietly exit the apartment. 

Luckily the bus ride to the airport was short and there was a pharmacy nearby. I stop in the pharmacy and pick up the morning after pill. The pharmacist gave me a good luck as I leave. 

The airport wasn't bad at this time of the morning. The lines were going very slow though. I could see security checking everyone's temperature. I just needed to get past security and get on the plane. My plane wasn't going to leave for at least an hour. 

The line moved a little with me standing there. I start to feel a little lightheaded. No, not now. I lean on the handle of my suitcase. I take deep breaths. In and out, in and out. I start to sweat. My body was getting very warm. Suddenly, my eyes were losing focus. I try to count in German, but every goes black. 

~~~~~~~~~~~ 

I wake up see bright lights. The walls around me were white. I look down at myself and notice an IV in my left arm. Hospital

A nurse walks into my room. "Hello Nalia. How do you feel?" She wraps a blood pressure cuff around my arm. 

I blink several times. "Ok." I say. I was still a little out of it. 

The nurse removes the cuff. "I'll let the doctor know you're awake." I nod. 

Looking around the room didn't really do much. It was like any other hospital room. Sharps box, sink, hand sanitizer, and a chair in the corner. My eyes finally adjusted but now I could feel my body. My chest was tight, breathing was difficult, I still felt warm. I also had a headache. I remember that I was at the airport. My plane! 

I look around but could not find a clock anywhere. I take my right hand and feel my pockets. My phone wasn't in them. 

There is a knock on the door. A doctor comes in and two nurses follow. The nurses had my backpack and suitcase. The doctor handed me my phone. "Nalia glad you are awake." 

"How long was I out?" I look at my phone. It was already noon. It had to be at least five hours. "What exactly happened?" 

The doctor glances at his watch. "You arrived here at 7:30, so you have been out for a bit. You fainted while waiting for security at the airport. I'm going to guess your body condition is part of why you fainted." 

I look down. Being underweight can do that. I look back up at him. "I am diagnosed with syncope. When am I free to go? I missed my flight." 

The doctor nods. "Then you being underweight and having syncope made you more likely to faint." The doctor pauses. "I'm afraid you can't leave the country. International travel is banned as of 6 pm tonight." 

"I can get another flight then." I sigh. 

The doctor shakes his head. "Nalia. You came in with a 101.9 fever. I had you tested for the virus and it came back positive. Even if you could get a new flight, security would turn you away. You are infected with the virus." 

I blinked a few times. I was stuck. I couldn't go home. I was sick too, in multiple ways. "Then what options do I have?" 

"Do you have a relative who can come get you?"

I shake my head. "I'm from America. I was here for school." My mother! "If I call my mother, could you explain the situation?"

The doctor nods. "Do you have anyone here who could help you?" I nod. "I'll make the calls for you. Just unlock your phone and I'll call. Who else should I be calling?" 

I smile. "Seán."