Chapter 18: Home Again

"Nalia!" My mom was waving to me. I walk over to her. I let her hug me for a moment. I got used to being close with Seán, but I'm still not used to being close with other people. 

My mother asked me the usual questions: how are you, how was the flight, do you like the zoo ect. I talk to her about my experiences and Sabine. Sabine had become a big part of my life. I would love for her to meet Vila, but that was probably never going to happen. 

There were a couple things that I skipped over. I didn't mention anything about Kris. I try not to think about him most days. I changed the lock on my phone since I know my family can guess my code. I didn't want anyone to see his texts to me. Seán and Sabine are the only ones who know my code and that was for emergencies only. 

I also left out Seán. I didn't want to see how my family would react. I'm not a close family type of person. I also don't want to be here when they find out. I want to keep the hugging to a minimum. My sister definitely didn't need to know yet. Her reaction would be insane. I made a second social media account for my not USA friends...plus Vila. Vila knew everything about me. 

We pull into the driveway of my childhood Michigan home. The house was the same. A cream colored bi-level with a little brick for texture. My car was sitting in the driveway but not where I left it. Molly has probably gotten her license by now. I hope she takes care of my car. 

My mother opens the door and we are greeted by a small amount of loud barking. I bend over and pet the family schnauzers. Suzy followed my mom into the house while Lilo happily accepted my pets. She sniffed and licked me a lot. I hope she missed me. 

I close the door and carry my suitcase up to my room. My room was bare. My dark purple walls had no pictures on them. There were a couple shelves that still had my American Girl dolls on them. I smile. I just couldn't let those dolls go. I loved the historical collection and the stories they told. My bed had gray sheets and a red blanket on it. My dresser had an old radio on it that I've had since I was a kid. There was a shelf above it with a couple stuffed penguins. I used to collect stuffed animals, especially penguins, but I gave some to a women's shelter because I didn't see me moving them all with me after I rent my first apartment after college. I took pictures of them and put it in my scrapbooking box. 

I pull the box out from under my bed. I set it next to my suitcase. I unzip my suitcase and pull out an envelope. Inside were pictures from the United Kingdom. I didn't tell Seán I printed some pictures. I was the only one who was going to see them anyway. I put them in my scrapbooking box and shove the box under my bed. I'll actually get back into scrapbooking one day, but not today. 

I walk out of my room and look at my sister's door. It was closed meaning she was probably gaming. I knew better than to interrupt. I go down the stairs.

My mother was with my father in the kitchen. There was a pizza box on the table along with four plates. 

My father smiles at me. "Welcome home." He grabs two slices and puts it on a plate. He holds the plate out. I take it. 

My mother pulls out her phone. "I'll text Molly." Her fingers slowly type out a message.

My father hands her a plate. We all sit down at the table for dinner. I gave my father the short version of the same thing I told my mother in the car. Again I tried to keep out a few details. The dogs went out to the living room and slept on the couch. 

Molly finally made her appearance after ten minutes. My father was getting seconds while my mother was having a bowl of frozen yogurt. She waves at me and says a quiet "welcome back." She grabs a couple slices and sits down. 

I was halfway through my second slice. I answered a few questions from Molly but I could tell she just wanted to get back upstairs. I asked her about her following count. She perked up and proudly told me she had 2,000 followers. Her streams averaged around 500 viewers. I was impressed. She doubled her count in a year. She only did certain video games so she would have to expand or get more creative to get to Seán's following numbers. Seán was almost to a million followers. He was recognized in public a few times while we were out, so I always made sure to stay away from the camera while he was talking with fans. 

Molly finished her food and ran back upstairs. My father poured himself a drink and went into the living room. He turned on a replay of a hockey game. My mother told me to look at Molly's new computer set up. Apparently Molly wanted new computer equipment and our mother wouldn't pay for it. Molly got a job and bought everything herself. She has managed to keep her grades up in her senior year of high school, have a part time job, and continue streaming online. I was proud of her. She really worked hard. I nod at my mother and walk back upstairs. 

Molly's door was wide open. I could tell she wasn't in it. I looked in the bathroom but that door was opened too. Neither of us go into our parent's room unless told to get something. I look in my room and see Molly going through my suitcase. "What are you doing?"

Molly turns around and is surprised to see me. "Nothing. Just thought you would've brought back a souvenir or something. I mean did you think of your little sister at all?" 

I roll my eyes. "I haven't gone shopping much. I've been scooping poop or struggling with chemistry." 

Molly chuckles. "Sounds really exciting but I know even you take at least one day off."

"I do." I pause. "My roommate, Sabine, has been taking me to her boyfriend's apartment on Fridays for a movie or game night." 

Molly sits on my bed. "I thought you would actually relax being out of the country but I guess I was wrong." She tosses a shirt back into my suitcase. "I thought you would at least buy some clothes. I do expect a souvenir though." 

I smile. "I guess I need to go some shopping then." 

Molly stands up. "You haven't even posted a lot of pictures on social media. There were like two of you and who I assume is Sabine. You usually take more pictures." 

Molly glances under my bed before walking out of my room. I slightly get nervous. I catch up with her. "Mother said you got a new set up. Show me."

Molly takes me into her room. She had two large monitors on a desk that fit nice and snug in the corner. She moved her bed to an opposite wall to keep it out of sight during her streams. Her keyboard was rainbow colored and her chair was a bright blue. Molly had a camera stand on her wall so it wouldn't take up room on her desk. For being a streamer for a couple years, her set up looked like a colorful version of Seán's. I only saw his set up a couple times since I didn't like to bother him while he worked. I smile thinking of how much Seán would appreciate this setting.

"Nalia stop making a creepy face." Molly looked at me like I was cross eyed. 

"Sorry, I'm just so happy for you."

"Well, stop. It makes me unfortunate." Molly sits in her chair. "Want to play a game?"

"Sure." I grab a controller from the side of one of her monitors. She grabs another. 

"Well be prepared, to be on camera. I will need to stream while I kick your ass."

I get really nervous. I am not good under pressure. "Fine. Even though you know I suck under pressure."

Molly laughs. "That's why I need it on camera."