Chapter 40: Scent

Seán continued with his goals. He announced online he was taking a break for about a month. He started ordering groceries with healthy food and less junk. He would start his day with jog outside while listening to different audio books. He was getting physically and mentally stronger. He seemed to focused on himself instead of pleasing others.

I was feeling much better. It took about two weeks for me to get my energy back to normal. I always felt tired early and ended up sleeping for ten hours. Now, the only thing wrong with me is I can't smell anything. Seán didn't believe me at first. He brought out some candles and asked me to guess the scents. I literally couldn't.  I pushed my nose so close to the candle and I got nothing. Seán sprayed some cologne and I couldn't smell that either. This was the most bizarre thing to have happened. To know what something smells like, but not able to actually smell it was crazy. 

Seán and I have been acting like regular friends. I hurt him by leaving for the airport by myself. We haven't really talked about it much and it really sucks. I have been sick this entire time. I kept my distance from Seán but it was killing me not being able to be close to him. I missed the way he held me. I wanted to kiss him, hell I wanted us to actually sleep in the same bed! Seán let me take over his bedroom since being sick. He only came in his bedroom for clothes and the bathroom. He bought a futon and put it in his office. I feel so bad to kick him out of his room, but I couldn't really walk far. I got too tired just walking back and forth to the bathroom. 

Molly checked in every once in a while. We would chat about my health and her games. She wanted to hear about my relationship with Seán but I shut that down every time. I didn't want to tell her that I had sex with him the night before I was supposed to leave and left without saying goodbye to him….then end up back in his apartment because I had no where else to go. Molly would also tell me mother is still looking for a way to bring me home. I roll my eyes and try to sleep it off. 

Seán has been on break for almost four weeks now. He looks better and healthier. His attitude is more positive before. He has a more positive outlook on life and his career. 

I walk out of the bedroom and see Seán making is usual cup of coffee. The room filled with the smell of coffee beans….

Smell! I inhale very loudly. Seán raises an eyebrow at me as he sips from his mug. "Seán, I can smell your coffee!" 

His face lights up. He brings the cup closer to me and I take a sniff of it. I smile realizing I got my nose back. I take out my phone and look at an email from the hospital. It was sent a week ago. I called asking when my symptoms would go away and I wasn't considered contagious. I open the email and skim over it again. "I don't think I'm contagious anymore." I look at Seán. We are both smiling. I couldn't help myself but I jumped up and down in a circle. Seán laughs at my childish antics. 

Seán sets his mug on the counter brings me in for a hug. It surprises me. I haven't touched him for a month. I could smell his shampoo in his longer hair (he missed his man bun). I felt his strong arms hold me in place. 

He pulls away and takes his phone out. "Nalia, can you take a progress picture for me?"

I smile. "Of course." I secretly pout for him breaking up our hug.

We walk over to a clean wall and Seán removes his shirt. I haven't seen him shirtless in a month either. His muscles were more defined and boy, did he look good. I kept myself from letting my jaw drop. I have not lost my attraction to Seán but seeing him look this good, just made me want him more. 

Seán smiles and I snap the photo. I give him his phone and he looks at the photo. He nods and thanks me. He doesn't move from his spot though. He just stands there looking through his phone. I frown and walk back towards the bedroom. Obviously, Seán does not seem to understand what he just did in front of me. I can't believe that just seeing him without a shirt has turned me on. I must be getting close to my period. I check my tracker in my phone. My period actually should have started last week. I shrug it off. I have never been late because I was taking birth control. Maybe my body is confused since I haven't been able to get my pills here. I think about masturbating, but I decide against it. I have another idea.