Chapter 12: Hide

Class was boring, and chemistry homework was frustrating.  I did have to go to the tutoring center. I wasn't the only one who needed help either. There was a small group there and I noticed they were all from my class.

Luckily I was able to get help on the problems I needed because I had to go get changed for my internship.  

For most of the day, I had my hair covering my hickey. Now that I was going to the zoo, I needed my hair away from my face. I decided to give myself a side braided ponytail.  I was not one who wore makeup, and I doubt Sabine had anything light enough for my skin. 

I worked like a robot at the zoo. I did the things I knew to do and then asked a keeper what else I could help with. No one seemed to notice anything different about me or they didn't ask. Kris didn't send me any messages either. 

I was riding the bus back to campus when my phone lights up. There was a message from Seán. 

Seán: I hope you had a wonderful day 

I smile. I type back: Thank you for the message. It was bearable, but Sabine pointed out you left me a parting gift.

Seán: Did I?

I roll my eyes. I move my hair slightly and take a picture of my neck. I check it and hit send. 

Seán: 😂 I forgot about that. I saw it this morning

I type back: thanks for telling me about it. I've been trying to hide it all day

Seán: why hide it?

Me: it's embarrassing for me. I've never had a hickey before. It feels like a red light saying "hello world, I was having fun last night"

Seán: are you saying you didn't have fun?

I chuckle: I did 

Seán: then it's none of anyone's business about what you and me did. I'm not saying wear it with pride if it makes you uncomfortable, but don't hide it. Your around adults

I think about it for a second. He does have a point. I'm in university and we are all adults. If someone asks or makes a comment it doesn't matter because we have all been there. I type back: good point thank you

Seán:😘 

I put my phone in my pocket and get off the bus. I walk back to my dorm to take a hot shower before drifting off to sleep.