Chapter 16: Birthday

The next few months were very easy. I continued my relationship with Seán as I went to university.  His career as an online streamer really started to kick off. He was becoming very popular with a new couple thousand subscribers. Kris continued his flirty texts but I kind of just turned the conversations back to the zoo. I had my meeting with Dr. Keith and told him I was leaning towards penguins for my focus next semester at the zoo. I didn't tell him anything about Kris. He praised me for keeping my grades up and getting good reviews from the keepers I have worked with at the zoo so far. Sabine and Ezra were getting more serious. They spent lots of time together. Sabine started spending time doing homework at his apartment. Vila kept me updated on her relationship.  She was planning on getting a dog with her boyfriend. 

It was a month until the semester ended. Then I would be sent home to America for Christmas. I'm excited to go home and see my family, especially the two Schnauzers Suzy and Lilo. I would miss Seán though. We have been together for a couple months officially now. Oral sex has made us grow closer to each other. I spend the night on Fridays and study the other days. 

The one thing I completely forgot to tell him though is my birthday. The end of the semester was the first week of December. My birthday was November 23. I didn't want him to be mad that I didn't tell him. It was actually next Wednesday. We were in Ezra's apartment for our weekly game night. Everyone was taking it easy. Just finished Uno and now we were watching a Saw movie. I mean we were kind of watching it. We all were having small conversations. 

My head was resting on Seán's shoulder. I loved the smell of coffee that came off of him. I slip my hand into his. "Seán." 

His eyes still looked at the screen. "Hmm." 

I look at our hands. "I turn 23 next Wednesday. "

He moves a little to try to look at me. "Really?" I nod. "You should've told me sooner." He kisses my cheek. 

"I don't like to brag. I didn't want to seem like I wanted attention. "

Seán nuzzles my cheek. "You deserve to have a day all about you." He kisses my cheek again. "I'll think of something special for you." 

~~~~~~~

Wednesday came very quickly. I started working with birds at the zoo and was currently with the penguins. I loved the keepers and the animals. Seán was going to pick me up at the end of my shift. We were going to walk around the zoo together and then go to an Italian restaurant. Seán would bring me a change of clothes. 

I was walking towards the front of the zoo when I heard a voice. "Nalia!" 

Kris was walking towards me. I smile and give a small wave. I was trying to act as natural as possible. I really didn't want him to ruin my day. 

"I was hoping to catch you today. I just wanted to say happy birthday." Kris stopped near me and gave me a look up and down. He smiled. "Do you want to go have a drink at a bar?" 

"Uhh." 

Suddenly I hear my name called again but by a more pleasing voice. "Nalia." 

I turn to see Seán walking towards with a small bag in hand. He looks at Kris and then at me with a concerning look. He pulls me into an embrace. 

I grab Seán's hand and turn around to Kris. "I told you about my boyfriend Seán. Seán, this is my zoo mentor Kris." 

The guys nod at each other but just look weirdly at each other. Seán thankfully breaks the silence. "Nalia is going to show me around the zoo then we are going out for dinner." 

Kris looks at me and chuckles. "Sounds like a good way to spend a birthday. I hope you two have fun." He walks off in the direction of the parking lot. 

Seán looks down at me. "Are you ok? You seemed a little tense." 

I gave him a big hug. "I'm ok now. Let's find me a bathroom so I can change." 

Seán let me walk him around the zoo and give him names and fun facts about each animal. I told him which ones I have worked with and their personalities.  After, we went to the Italian restaurant and had a wonderful meal. I couldn't finish my entire dish so I had to get a box to take my leftovers. 

Seán walked me back to my dorm room. We kiss goodbye and I fall asleep with a smile.