Chapter 28: New Guy

Leaving Seán was hard. I wish I could've stayed in the apartment with him. 

Sabine was sitting on her bed when I opened the door to our dorm room. There was really loud music coming from the door across from ours. I point in the general direction. "New neighbors?" 

Sabine rolls her eyes. "Yes, and if it was summer I would love the loud music. If this keeps up, I'm going to have an issue." 

I sit on my bed. "I'm a light sleeper so it better not be playing after 9 pm. I've got a 9 am class this semester. " 

Sabine brightens up a little. "Me too. Which class?" 

I glance over at my desk. "Looks like Vertebrate Zoology." 

Sabine squeals. "Me too!" 

I give her a high five. "Well now we can study together when I'm not doing Chemistry II homework. "

Sabine made a pfff sound. "I have scientific writing so it'll be one hell of a semester. "

"Hey." 

We both look over to our doorway. There was a guy standing there who was probably a couple inches taller than Sabine who had short brown hair and a British accent. We both wave. He was kind of cute….but not Seán cute.

"I just moved in across the hall. I'm Laurent." 

Both Sabine and I say get in unison. 

Laurent just awkwardly stands there. He scratches the back of his neck. "Do you guys want a drink? I always have a beer on hand." 

I was about to say no, but Sabine gives an eager yes. I give her a look but she shrugs me off. Laurent returns with three beers. I refuse to take one. "Suit yourself." Laurent enters our room and places the cold beer on my desk. I roll my eyes. I literally cannot drink that. 

Laurent was the same age as Seán but had fewer credits than me. He was part of the American military for most of his early 20s. He moved to the UK with his mom and became a resident. He finally decided he wanted to become a lawyer and enrolled in university. He planned on joining all sorts of clubs on campus. 

I didn't know what it was about him, but something felt off. Was it possible to be too friendly? 

Sabine talked with him mostly. I was looking at stuff on my phone. Every so often, I would see Laurent looking at me. I ignore him and scroll through social media. I go on Seán's public page and saw that the live stream I did with him was trending. Lots of people seemed supportive, and then there were the small percentage of people who just loved being negative. There were people calling me ugly, stupid, and not good enough for Seán. I would be a liar if I said the comments didn't bother me. They made me feel gross and disgusting. I don't really know why Seán is with me. Although, is there ever just one reason? This is my first real relationship. 

"Hey!" Sabine was waving a hand in front of my face. "Earth to Nalia. Laurent is going to join us for dinner in the cafeteria. Are you coming?" 

"Yeah, yeah." I swat her hand away. I follow the two out the door.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

At dinner, Laurent asked Sabine and I about ourselves. I told him why I can't drink and Sabine basically gave him her entire backstory. Sabine was friendlier than me so I didn't think anything of this. I got uncomfortable when Laurent started asking where our classes were and what time we were done. Sabine gladly gave up this information but I was able to get myself out of saying when I mentioned the zoo. Laurent asked me about my internship. I tried giving vague answers. I didn't trust this guy. I just met him. 

A phone vibrated making the table shake. Sabine got a text from Ezra. That's when Sabine started gushing about Ezra to Laurent. I could tell he really didn't care. 

"What about you Nalia?" He asks.

"I am in a relationship with one of Ezra's friends." I had my chin resting on one of my hands. I tried to look as bored as possible. 

Sabine rolled her eyes. She pulled up a picture of all of us on her phone. She pointed to Seán with his man bun. "That's Jack and this is Ezra." Laurent pretends to look interested. "Ezra and I are going to be celebrating our one year anniversary at the end of the month." 

"I barely know my own anniversary." I say.

Laurent seemed interested. "I thought it was the guy who was forgetful. "

I roll my eyes. Sabine cuts in. "None of us really know when Jack and Nalia got together. It all just sort of happened and they started getting cozy in public." 

I give Sabine a look. She returns a confused look. "Well," Sabine looks back at Laurent. "Here is our phone numbers and I'll add you to our group chat. I'm sure the guys would get along with you. We get together every Friday night." 

I look at the ceiling. I'm annoyed Sabine just gave away my phone number without asking me, but I'm also annoyed that she invited him to our Friday game night. I'm not good with change so maybe I was overreacting. I should give Laurent a chance…..right?