Chapter 11: Parting Gift

Campus was already busy. I finally got back to my dorm at quarter to ten. I open the door and Sabine is sitting on her bed looking at a textbook.  She looks up at me as I close the door. 

She gives me a weird look. "Weren't you wearing that yesterday? Where have you been?" 

"Just out. Spent the night with a friend." I try my best not to seem like I'm leaving information out. 

Sabine laughs a little. "Just a friend huh?" She points at her neck. "Might want to check the mirror and try again." 

My hands cover both sides of my neck. I walk over to the back of our door and remove my hands. Right there, on the right side of neck, was a quarter sized red spot. I sigh. Guess I can check another thing off my list of stuff I've never done. 

I turn around to face Sabine. She has put her textbook aside and sat up. She has her arms crossed. "So where were you really?" 

"I mean," I shrug. " I wasn't lying. I was at a friend's place." I go over to my dresser and open a drawer. 

I hear Sabine laugh. "I had a friend who left me those gifts sometimes. Now we sleep in the same bed on the weekends." 

I take my clothes off and throw on a purple crop top and a pair of black high waisted black jeans. "If I must spell it out for you, I was with Seán." 

Sabine didn't look surprised. "What about Natalie?" 

I go over to my desk and pack my backpack for evolution. "He told me they broke up." 

"Okayy…" Sabine thinks for a moment. "Might explain why I haven't seen her, but why were you at Jack's?" 

I unlock my phone and bring up the texts from my mentor. "Just read through the messages." 

I finish packing my bag and set it on my desk. I grab a granola bar from a drawer and sit on my bed. Sabine scrolls on my phone. I see her make multiple faces filled with disgust.

She finally looks up at me. "I'm so sorry. You talked really highly of him." 

I sigh. "The way he talks about sex...I just can't wrap my head around it. Maybe it's because I'm still a virgin but I don't think I could live with myself if I did it that way." 

Sabine hands me my phone. "Sex is nice, but when you have feelings for someone and they have feelings for you, it's just so much more." 

"Good to know. Like sex would be nice, but I really just want love." 

"Well that hickey is a start I guess." Sabine laughs. "Guess that means you have been kissed." 

I blush and nod my head. My phone makes a noise. I look and my alarm for class is going off. I didn't realize where the time went. Sabine went back to her textbook and I walked out on my way to class.