11. It's About You Liking It

'Kim Taehyung, please report to the principal's office immediately.'

The little announcement that comes through the class intercom initiates a number of feelings in me.

One, confusion.

You don't get called to the principal's office unless you've done something wrong, right?

And I haven't done anything wrong.

Two, fear.

I have only ever been called to the principal's office once, before. Accusations involving a pregnant girl were made, and I was suspended.

"Mr. Kim, I'm sure you've heard the message, no?" my history teacher asks, raising an eyebrow at me.

I nod, put my stuff in order, then walk out of the classroom.

As I make my way to the office, my mind goes through everything I have done this week.

Nothing much.

Nothing that would warrant a call to the principal's office.

What could this be about?

By the time I get there, my palms are sweaty.

I approach the secretary's desk.

"Hi. I... Uh... Got summoned."

"Kim Taehyung, right? Please have a seat and wait for a minute," she requests me.

I nod and take a seat at the waiting area.

I want to ask her why I have been called, but I don't.

It also gets quite hard to think about my supposed impending doom when I hear raised voices coming from the office.

"You never try, that's your problem," an angry feminine voice carries to me. "This... What is this? Average! I will not have a mediocre son, Jeon Jungkook!"

My stomach drops.

Did she say Jeon Jungkook? That's JK!

Is he in trouble?

A few seconds later, the voice sounds again. "This is your last chance, young man. Don't think I will hesitate to send you to your brother's school."

"No, mum, please, I'll do my best. I promise!" Jungkook's voice carries beyond the door.

He sounds like he's crying, and it breaks my heart. I glance at the secretary, but I guess she's used to this kind of scenario as she doesn't seem to be paying attention.

But... What has Jungkook done?

He's one of the best students in my art class. He always gets his assignments done on time, is well behaved, and has never gotten into any trouble.

Why is his mother screaming at him in the principal's office?

My hands form into fists.

Why am I here?

"Go back to class, I don't want to see your face!" her voice is like the lash of a whip, cracking through the closed doors.

I watch the door in apprehension.

It pushes open a few seconds later, and Jungkook appears.

My eyes zero in on his face. His hand is wiping below his eyes, but I can see the tears shining in them. There are also marks on his cheeks.