26. I'm Fine

26. I'm Fine

Dad picked his call on the third ring.

"Hello, son. Finally remembered your old man?"

A smile broke on my face, despite the heaviness in my heart.

"Dad," I mumbled. I wanted to ask how he was and tell him I had missed him. But I found that I couldn't pretend to be ok, even though he couldn't see me. "Dad, I want to come home tomorrow."

There was a pause on his side before his worried voice came across. "Taehyung, are you okay? Are you sick?"

"No, Dad. I'm fine. I just miss you and mom a lot. I need to see you."

"Taehyung, it's just a couple of weeks to the end terms and then you'll be here soon. Sure you can't sit this one out?"

My hand tightened around my phone. I couldn't imagine spending the weekend at school after what happened with Jimin. I needed some space, even if just for two days.

I needed to be at home, where I could let my emotions go and feel like myself again.

"Dad, please," I pleaded.

A deep sigh came across the line. "Fine, Taehyung. We miss you here too, anyway. Your mom is going to be ecstatic."

"Thank you Dad!" I beamed, feeling a weight lift off my chest already. "But, you have to call the school and ask them to allow me to stay away for the weekend."

"Sure, consider it done."

We talked a bit longer, then I went back to my dorm room. It was around ten o'clock. I had been on the roof for a few hours, avoiding all kinds of interaction.

Well... I just didn't want to run into Jimin.

Now, I had to tell Hoseok that I wouldn't be able to attend his contest. Guilt gnawed at me since I knew he really wanted me to be there.

But how could I? Jimin would be there.

Hoseok was in the room when I got back. He was seated on the floor in front of the closet, folding some clothes.

He looked up when I walked in.

"Tae! Where have you been? I almost came looking for you!"

He was beaming. I could tell he was excited about the next day. It made me feel worse for having to ruin our plans.

"I was on the roof," I replied, closing our door behind me.

"Oh," he muttered. "Is everything okay?"

I nodded. "Yeah. I just wanted to get some fresh air."

He stared at me a bit longer, as if he didn't believe me. Thankfully, he didn't pursue the issue further.

"So, the day is finally here," he commented.

I fidgeted, my fingers weaving into each other. "Hyung, about that."

"Yeah?"

"I can't make it."

His brow creased. "What? Why?"

"I'm going home tomorrow," I revealed. "For the weekend."

Hoseok rose from his position, his bright countenance disappearing. He regarded me with concern in his eyes. "All of a sudden? Is everything okay at home?"

I nodded. "Yeah, I... I just need to go."

Hoseok took my hands in his, gazing at me with pleading eyes. "Can't you go next weekend instead, please? I really want you there."