Chapter 5

After around 10 minutes of Harry begging to be taken anywhere but the nurse Louis finally gave in.

"For god's sake, we'll take him to my mum seeing as he's being difficult. She's a nurse. I'll call her to pick us up."

"We're gonna have to sneak out."

"That won't be hard, everyone's already in class."

//

"Oh my god. What the hell happened to him Louis!?" Jay exclaimed, lying Harry on the sofa.

"I don't know. We found him like this." Louis lied. "He said he'd fallen down the stairs though."

"Harry love, what hurts?"

"Everything..." He murmured weakly.

"Right, we're going to have to take off your shirt."

"No." He shook his head firmly, groaning immediately.

"Just listen to her will you." Louis sighed.

"I don't wanna take off my shirt." He mumbled, "I can't."

"Well what do you want her to do? Fucking magic?"

"Louis." Jay sighed, "you're not helping. Take Liam upstairs." Louis huffed, trudging out of the living room, Liam following closely. "Harry sweetie, why can't I take off your shirt?"

"I don't want you to." If she did, she would see his cuts. Then she would ask questions. Louis might find out, and then the whole year would know.

"Alright. Well we're just going to have to unbutton it then. Is that alright? I need to be able to see your tummy and back."

"Okay..."

"Can you tell me what happened?"

"Fell down the stairs."

"Okay, but what about the fresh bruises?"

Harry bit his lip, staring at the ceiling.

"Harry?"

"Someone beat me up." He admitted quietly.

"Oh Jesus. Who?"

"I don't know their name."

"You need to report them." She told him.

"It's fine."

"It's definitely not fine. Have you seen the bruises? Stay here, I'll go and get you some painkillers."

"Thank you."

Within a few seconds Jay was back. "Do you want me to call anyone to pick you up? Or do you want me to take you home?"

"I have work."

"Oh god no, you're not going to work Harry."

"I have to."

"There's no way I'm letting you go to work."

"Please." He begged, "I have to. And the painkillers will start working soon. I'll be fine."

"No Harry."

"My sister's come back to see me. Can I call her to pick me up?" He asked quietly as tears filled his eyes.

"Of course you can." She told him the address as he dialled her number.

"Hi Harry."

"Can you come and pick me up?" He mumbled.

"Of course, where from?"

He recited the address before hanging up.

"She's gonna be here in 5." He told Jay, "I'm sorry for bothering you."

"Oh honey no, it's fine. But I don't think you'll be able to go to school tomorrow, or maybe the day after."

"I won't be allowed to stay off."

"Well, you'll have to try. Take these with you." She handed him a packet of painkillers. "Only take 2 every 4 hours."

"Thank you. I appreciate your help."

She smiled warmly at him, "is this your sister here now?"

"I think so." He stood up slowly with the help of Jay. She opened the door for him and as the cool air hit his skin he realised her shirt was still unbuttoned.

"Bloody hell Harry, what happened? And how on earth did you get a tattoo?"

"I fell down the stairs. And I was allowed with parental permission." He muttered.

Gemma walked up to him, wrapping an arm around him as they walked down the path to her car. "Thank you for looking after him."

"Anytime dear. Just make sure he takes the painkillers every 4 hours."

"Okay, will do. Let's get you home then." She helped him into the car. As soon as the door was shut Harry turned to Gemma.

"I don't want to go home."

"You have to. Uncle John will look after you."

"Please don't make me." Harry whimpered, his eyes filling with tears, "please don't. Can I stay with you?"

"I'm staying at a friend's Haz."

Harry dug his palms into his eyes in an attempt to stop the tears.

"Fine, I'll text her and see if you can stay with us, alright?"

Harry nodded, not being able to speak without crying.

"So, the tattoo. How on earth did you get permission? And why did you get it so young?"

"I told him it was something that needed signing for school and he didn't read it." Harry choked out, "and I wanted it to remember mum. She loved butterflies."

"Oh Harry." Gemma sighed, hugging him, "come on, Lily said you can stay over."

"Lily, your friend from school?"

"Yeah I stayed in contact with her."

"But you didn't stay in contact with me." He muttered.

"I thought it would be better if you didn't have me around."

"And why would that be any fucking better for me?"

"Hey, language."

"You don't get to act like you're my mum."

Gemma huffed, starting the car and beginning to drive.

//

"So tell me what happened. I know you said you fell down the stairs but I don't believe you." Gemma asked as she sat cross legged on her bed.

"I did fall down the stairs yesterday."

"Okay, so why was that woman looking after you today?"

"Someone beat me up." He admitted quietly.

"Fucking hell Haz. Who? And why?"

"I don't know. Everyone hates me though."

"What? Why? What've you done wrong?"

"I don't know. They've hated me since year 7."

"Why didn't you tell me?"

"Because you would've made it a big deal."

"It is a big deal! You literally got beaten up!"

"Can I go to sleep? Please. 'm tired."

"Let's have something to eat first."

Harry nodded, "can I stay in here though?"

"I think you should come and eat with us."

"Oh...okay..." Harry scratched at his wrists as he followed Gemma into the kitchen, hiding behind her.

"Hi Harry. I haven't seen you in a while." Lily smiled.

"Yeah, hi."

"Is mac n cheese alright?"

Harry nodded, wrapping an arm around himself loosely.