Chapter 8

Harry knocked on the front door, biting his lip. The door opened and Harry scurried past his uncle.

"Please may I go up to bed?" Harry asked nervously.

"Whatever. I'm having people over so don't you dare get in my way."

He nodded, walking to his bedroom and slouching down against the door with a sigh. If his uncle had friends over, they'd no doubt be loud until the early hours of the morning so he'd be getting no sleep.

He locked his door, knowing that they'd probably try to get in. It was a surprise his uncle hadn't taken the lock off actually, although he supposed it was because Harry knew better than to hide.

It wasn't often Harry had the time alone, but when he did his thoughts ran wild. He decided to try and do some homework to distract himself, plus he needed to do it.

He did homework until music started blaring and loud drunken voices could be heard. Harry groaned, slamming his head against his desk. It's not even like he had much he could do tonight, his room was bare apart from the desk, his bed and his wardrobe. He had had his room essentially stripped and everything sold by his uncle when they had begun to loose money.

The only thing he could do really is draw. So that's what he did. He began to sketch, his mind drifting to the film they had watched earlier.

He hadn't watched TV since before his mum died and he had been intrigued. He had honestly loved the film and wanted to watch it again, but of course he couldn't.

He barely had time to draw anymore but when he properly took in his drawing he was happy with it. He had drawn the scene from the Titanic where they stood at the front of the boat, Jack holding Rose. But there was a problem, Jack looked exactly like Louis, and Rose looked like Harry...

Harry shoved his sketchbook back into the drawer, jumping as someone rattled his door handle.

"Oi! Who's in there!?" The obviously drunken man yelled.

"It's Harry, John's nephew." He told them nervously.

"Let me in."

"I'm sorry but I can't."

"Just let me in kid."

Harry hid in his bathroom, he knew what these people could get like and it was best to ignore them.

He took his blade from the cabinet, sliding it along his wrist slowly. He felt so stupid for making these marks on his body, but he couldn't stop. He relished in the feeling of having control over his body for once, and he deserved the pain.

Eventually the rattling and the angered shouting outside died down, and Harry rinsed of his arms, bandaging them up and moving to his bed.

Curling up, he pulled the covers over him. He wouldn't be getting any sleep tonight but he had nothing better to do so he decided to just lie there.

Honestly, he was so thankful for Louis's mum, but he doubted he would ever take her up on her offer to visit if he needed somewhere to go. She was essentially a stranger, and of course the fact that Louis lived there put him off greatly.

//

"Louis! Can I talk to you for a second?" Jay called Louis down from his room once Liam and Zayn had left.

"Yeah, what about?" He walked down the stairs.

"Just Harry."

"Oh not bloody Harry again." He huffed, "you're obsessed with him. You have a perfectly good son right here thank you."

"Louis, shut up and sit down. I just want you to be nice to him. I've told him he can come here if he needs an escape and although I doubt he'll take me up on it, if he's here I want you to be nice and not make him uncomfortable."

"An escape from what?" Louis frowned.

"Well, it doesn't seem he has a great home life. And there's definitely something going on with him, he doesn't seem happy."

"What do you mean he doesn't have a great home life?"

"He lives with his uncle, but apparently they don't get on. His uncle doesn't like him because he's gay and useless apparently. Well that's what he said. But Louis, you can't go around telling anyone this. Okay?"

"Alright, alright. I won't." Louis put his hands up in mock surrender. "I can't believe I've known him since year 7 and I didn't know his mum had died."

"I take it he hid it well then."

"I don't know, he's always been a background figure. Nobody really cares about him."

"Poor boy." Jay sighed.

"He works two jobs you know." Louis told her.

"Two jobs? Bloody hell. How do you know that?"

"I saw him after school in the bakery around the corner when I was getting stuff for the girls and I saw him before school in the café the other day when I was with Zayn and Liam."

Jay pinched the bridge of her nose, shaking her head. "You can go upstairs now if you want."

"Night mum. Love you."

"Night Boobear, love you too." Jay hugged him.

//

Harry stood at the door to Louis's house. He hadn't managed to sleep so he went into work early to get a shift in. He worked from 5-11 am, drinking plenty of coffee along the way.

"Come in!" Louis shouted.

Harry stepped inside, taking off his shoes and looking around.

"I'm up here."

Harry followed Louis's voice, walking into his bedroom.

Louis looked up from his phone, doing a double take as he saw Harry's appearance. "Jesus Christ gay boy, you look like shit."

"Thanks." Harry mumbled, "didn't sleep."

"Why not?"

"My uncle had people around. They were drunk and loud. They didn't leave until this morning." Harry sighed. "I had coffee at work though so I should be alright."

"You still went to work?"

"Had to. I've lost too many hours."

"Why do you work two jobs?"

"Don't wanna talk about it if that's okay." He looked down.

Louis shrugged, chewing on the end of his pen. "Better get on with this bullshit then."

Today was the first time Louis had heard Harry laugh. Louis had said something funny and Harry let out a small giggle. He immediately covered his mouth and a blush took over his features, and Louis wouldn't admit it but he found it adorable.

"Why don't you laugh more often?" Louis had asked.

"Nothing to laugh about." Harry had muttered in response.